GPS

GPS repair problems? Ask a GPS technician for answers ASAP

I have a Garmin Drive Assist 51. I can not use 32 or 64 GB…

Customer Question
Hi, I have a...

Hi, I have a Garmin Drive Assist 51. I can not use 32 or 64 GB memory since the product can not format them in the device. I have tried to format them om my laptop but no success. The product has been with Garmin repair Center in Sweden and Denmark 3 times but when receiving it back the problem still remain. I am using Toshiba Exceria cards.

Technician's Assistant: What is the exact model of your Garmin? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

Drive Assist 51 LMT-D. 3 months old

Technician's Assistant: What happened right before this popped up?

You mean before the problems started?

Technician's Assistant: What troubleshooting have you tried?

There is no troubleshooting available for this kind of problem. If Garmin Service is unable to solve it I do not know what to do. They have replaced the unit once. Last time I included the cards for them to test

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the GPS Expert to know before I connect you?

No, I think thas all

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: GPS
9/16/2017
Electronics Technician: Greg A., Engineer replied 11 months ago
Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

I'm Greg and will do my best to assist you today.

Sorry I didn't see your question earlier and to hear of any issue you are having with your device.

To help you with this issue, may I ask:

1) Did you get ANY "detailed report" back - when the device was sent for repair - especially when the SD card was included with the device? I only ask because I'm wondering what TESTING was done, and if perhaps they used their own SD cards during that testing process.

2) Can you tell what FORMAT the SD cards are set to - on ANY computer?

3) What type of computer is being used to attempt to format the memory cards?

Please REPLY using the box below and the SEND button.
IMPORTANT NOTE: If you see ANY requests for "additional services" - such as a phone call - please understand that these are OPTIONAL and sent BY THE SITE AUTOMATICALLY (and not me), and I am NOT available by phone for this question.

Please DECLINE (close) any such offers, and continue in this text/chat form.

Thanks

(im)

1. The report back said that my included memory cards were tested without any faults found, both records fine, no error message found/seen.
But to me it is not clear if they tested the cards in the device itself or on a stand alone computer.2. The cards are set to FAT323: I used following program on my Lenovo ideapad 510S to format the memories to FAT32.
http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?fat32format.htm4. Funny enougth, they do not have any memory cards 32 or 64 GB to sell, nor are they ably to tell me which brand of cards I should use. The spec they recommand is so old it has never been used for 32 or 64 GB cards.Best regards
Kjell

OK - it sounds like almost all of the specification have been met, which is mainly the FAT32 format.

And you are correct that Garmin does NOT typically sell SD cards for their devices - as they would have to charge a whole lot more to TEST them in all their devices and ask the customers to pay for that testing. Example: A name brand SD card bought NEW via Amazon would most likely be 2-4 times LESS on Amazon vs. a TESTED card of the same brand name via Garmin purchase.

One other bit of "history" - is that the Garmin products until recently have been "stuck" in the SD & SDHC "type" - and a CLASS 10 limitation. Only recently since the Dashcam features have been included have they really needed to go past the 8GB boundary.

But I did notice in the latest version of the Garmin "support notes" (article HERE), they mention in NOTE 3 that a "minimum Class 10" card is needed for the "camera" units.

So do the memory card meet those specifications AND can the SD cards even "be seen" by the computer WHEN they are installed in the device itself?

Hi again,
The cards are
Toshiba
Minnestyp MicroSDXC
size 64 GB and 32 GB
read (max) 90 MB/sek
Class Class 10
UHS klass U3
so, yes they meet the requirements as far as I can understand.No, the cards will not show up in Explorer on the laptop when the device is connected to it.
Since I am not able to get past the formatting demand on the device (despite it is FAT32), it does not work

OK - can the DEVICE itself be seen - via Explorer ?

HI
Yes, it will show up and I can and I have updated the maps to the latest version.But the device does not accept or show the SD cards of 32 or 64 GB. Only when I install the 4 GB card that came with the device will it work as it should.
I have searched the web for persons having the same problem but no luck. I find that strange since then I will be the only person with a drive assist 51 using Toshiba cards in the whole world.
I will be away for 4 days with our Armed Forces in the Aurora 17 mock-up battle taking care of our friendly US and French forces participating in the defence of Sweden.

OK - can you tell me the TYPE of memory card the ORIGINAL 4GB card is?

Most will have a brand name and class indicator printed on them.

Also, I should have asked before but are you installing the card in the Camera memory slot or the Data memory slot?

What I'm thinking is that you MAY want to try the same BRAND and TYPE of memory card as the one that came with the unit - and is working.

About the only difference should be the capacity. I would also TRY to get a 16GB card and see what happens. Those should be readily available online at a relatively low cost. See Amazon search results HERE.

If you will be away for a few days, please let me know what you can try - regarding different memory cards - and the results. I'm here almost every day to help.

Above all - BE SAFE in your travels, Greg A.

(im)

Hi again,
Back from the service and no casulties.
The GPS came with a 4 GB class 10 Transcend card.
Na, I have no further use for a 16 GB card. The GPS is sold with a promise to accept 64 GB cards. Any lower will just make it fill up quicker. Nowdays you aim for more GB then 64.
Best regards
Kjell
Electronics Technician: Greg A., Engineer replied 10 months ago

Hi again,

I understand the desire to use the higher capacity memory cards - especially since a "dash-cam" is included with some devices (more video can be stored). In most cases, the data card (for map data, routes, etc.) should not need more than 8-16GB of space.

My suggestion for using lower capacity and different name brand cards was to TEST IF they would work - in either/or the camera & data memory slots.

A further suggestion would be to format the larger capacity card(s) in a computer and then COPY the directory structure of the WORKING 4GB card to the larger card and then TEST with the larger card inserted.

Please let me know what you can TRY (TEST), so that the issue can be identified.

Thanks, ***** *****

(im)