Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

My garment screen won't come on but can hear background

Customer Question

Hello my garment screen won't come on but can hear background sound when pressing the screen
JA: What's the make/model of your GPS unit? How old is it?
Customer: Not sure how old it is but it's a dezl 560lmt
JA: What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: It was working normally just went to use it yesterday and it has this problem
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Just tried turning it on normally
JA: Anything else you want the GPS expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: GPS
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

It sounds as if your screen has failed - no light, but it responds (according to the sound you hear) when you touch it, so the touch-screen and the central CPU circuitry responses are still working, it's not that it is failing to operate at all, just no light on the screen.

It's probable that your Garmin Navigator is out of warranty (it is, if it is over 1 year from purchase date.) So it's a question, whether Garmin will service-repair this sort of defect in this sort of device (that may be some years old and no longer supported.)

Looking it up, on this page: http://www8.garmin.com/support/outofwarranty.html

it turns out that Garmin does still service-repair this device, for a flat-fee rate of $110.00 (that's what the page says when DEZL 560LMT is selected.)

If that seems rather a steep repair cost, be advised that other servicers are likely to charge as much, if not more - screen repair isn't cheap, and sometimes is not easy either.

Let me know what you think. I will advise you further.