GPS

GPS Repair Problems? Ask a GPS Technician for Answers ASAP

GPS

I reset my garmin 545 and I don't have a manual and I don't

Customer Question
I reset my garmin 545...
I reset my garmin 545 and I don't have a manual and I don't know how to set it up
JA: What is the exact model of your Garmin? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Garmin 545 8yrs
JA: What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: I lost satellite signal and my daughter was trying figure it out and changed the setting on accident. I could not figure it out so I bought a new external antenna and reset to factory settings and now I am really lost
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I don't know how to go thru initializing unit settings. Without a book I have no idea what to do. What do I put in for NMEA devices and after that
JA: Anything else you want the GPS expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just need help getting the 545 reset-up
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: GPS
8/4/2017
Electronics Technician: Greg A., Engineer replied 3 months ago
Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

I'm Greg and will do my best to assist you today.

Sorry to hear of any issue you are having with your device.

To help you with this issue, may I ask:

1) If I can find a copy of the electronic (PDF) version of the manual for this system, would that be of help? Such manuals can be viewed on a computer (or similar device), saved, and even printed if needed.

2) WHEN did the device last operate correctly?

3) WHEN did this issue first begin (or was noticed)?

Please REPLY using the box below and the SEND button.
IMPORTANT NOTE: If you see ANY requests for "additional services" - such as a phone call - please understand that these are OPTIONAL and sent BY THE SITE AUTOMATICALLY (and not me), and I am NOT available by phone at the moment. Feel free to DECLINE (close) any such offers, and continue in this text/chat form.

Thanks

I have looked with no luck. The GPS was working last time we was out on the boat about 6 weeks ago and it lost signal. This was the first time I have ever had any issues.

RE: "I have looked with no luck."

What are you referring to - that you have looked at/for?

Hi again,

I saw your call request, but unfortunately I'm not near a phone right now to be able to call. However another expert may respond to your call request before I can reach a phone.

We can also continue here in this chat/text form.

Please let me know if that will work for you.

Thanks

What do I put for the NMEA devices in settings and after that? Should I go out to my boat and look at the GPS while we talk?

Did you see my earlier question, which I will post again below?

RE: "I have looked with no luck."

Also, Did you ever find the manual for this device?

I was talking about the manual no luck finding a manual. A friend of mine has a Garmin 536 with a the manual are they differant

OK - the manual SHOULD be the same - IF it is titled "GPSMAP 400/500 series owner's manual" - on the title page.

So let me ask if attaching the new external antenna caused the device to at least find and lock on the satellite signals?

Thanks

AND is that antenna attached DIRECTLY to the External GPS Antenna connector - on the 545 itself?

I have not got thru the initializing unit settings. I don't know what a NMEA device is and what to put can you tell me
The manual is a 400/500 like you said

OK - an NMEA device is almost ANY device that communicates across a different interface - such as the NMEA 2000 "network" or NMEA 0183 protocol - usually "serial" connection to things like VHF radios.

Does that make sense, and if so, do you have any such devices or a NMEA 2000 network?

Let me send you a link to the INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS - which has so really good "wiring diagrams" and other details about NMEA connections.

Click Link below

http://static.garmin.com/pumac/GPSMAP_400-500_Series_INST_EN.pdf

NOTE: I recommend that you just "look over" that manual, so you will have a good idea of what CAN connect to the device.

Let me know if you have any trouble seeing that manual.

Thanks

Not really, I have a VHF radio but not connected to the GPS in any way.

OK - that is why I asked if the new external antenna was connected DIRECTLY to the device itself - and if that made a difference with finding and locking on the satellite signal.

If connected DIRECTLY to the device - using two different antennas - there could be a problem with the device itself.

Can you look at ANY of the screen and see if the satellite signals have been seen and locked (does a chart show your CURRENT position)?

What do you mean 2 different antennas

You mentioned in your original question that "I bought a new external antenna".

The original antenna would be ONE, and the new one would be TWO - so 2 different antennas could have been connected.

No sir the original was in bad shape wire cracked so I replaced it with the same kind of antenna

OK - what was the condition of the antenna connector - on the device itself? Any nastiness (corrosion) or such at that connector?

And when the NEW antenna was connected - did you check the MAIN SCREEN of the device (once powered ON for a few minutes), and see ANY signal bars at the top of the screen?

The old conecctor was falling apart. I take the 545 off and keep inside so it is good condition but aftet making the mistake of resetting the 545 I am stuck. Under communications serial port 1 and 2 what goes on there
Something is working the 545 just asked me if it was todays date but nothing on signal bars

OK - if it asked the date, it MAY be finishing its SEARCH for the satellites, and needs to know the DATE so that it can know WHERE to search for what satellites to look for.

I suspect that the "database" of your last location was erased by resetting the device.

So I recommend responding to the requests for date, etc., and see if the signals can then be found.

NOTE:This can take a LONG TIME - since the database was cleared.

Let me know what happens after responding to the device requests.

Also, the Configure > Communications settings (for serial ports) are to configure the OTHER DEVICES (NMEA devices) that you have connected to the device.

If you don't have any such devices, simply back out of that screen - all the way back to the MAIN screen (HOME), and let the device search for a satellite lock.

Let me know what you see at that point.

Thanks

P.S. I will assume that the sky is CLEAR and the vessel is NOT "under cover" - so that the satellite signals CAN be received. Let me know if that is NOT the case.

Not under cover but cloudy

Cloudy can still SLOW DOWN signal lock.

Are you seeing ANY "signal bars" on the HOME screen at all?

OR are you seeing any "lost satellite reception" warnings?

No signal bars and I have a question mark flashing in the boat
How long can this take
In systems and under gps I have skyview, WAAS/EGNOS and initialize position. What is WAAS/EGNOS and should it be on or off

It could take several minutes - but you should have SOME signal bars.

Question mark means that it has NOT locked yet.

Turning on WAAS or EGNOS doesn't hurt - so it can be either ON or OFF - shouldn't really make any difference. But OFF should be fine too.

WAAS is on. When I look at skyview it shows me all the satellite but none are highlighted
Thank you for the help but nothing has worked

Hmm ... I'm starting to wonder about the function of the replacement antenna.

Was the antenna acquired as NEW or perhaps used?

I would also like to TEST "simulate mode" - to make sure the other device screens will work in that mode.

Do you know how to turn the simulator ON?

If not, go to Configure > System > Simulator and turn it ON there.

Let me know what happens when you do that.

Thanks

(im)

antenna is new from Garmin bought at west marime. In simulation mode has antenna bars weather bars and more options on home screen
Lools like a working gps in simulation mode

OK - at least the simulate mode works - and also shows what to expect from a working unit for signal bars and such.

If it was me, I would CLOSELY double-check / inspect the connection of the antenna - mostly for loose pin connections OR any "dirt" that may be showing.

And of the West Marine is a LOCAL store, I would even go as far as to take the unit to that store and see if they can try a DIFFERENT antenna (assuming they have one) and TEST if that one works.

Please let me know what you can try - when you can.

Hopefully this is not a failed unit - with some kind of hardware failure inside.

Thanks

Hi again,

I was just double-checking the specifications of the GPSMAP 545 (before signing off), and it appears to have an INTERNAL antenna AND an External Antenna Connector.

That makes me suspect (even more) that there is either an internal failure of the device OR a possible "short" at the external antenna connector. IF it was me, I would CLOSELY INSPECT (with bright light and strong magnifying glass) the external antenna connector, and even try to CLEAN that connector - perhaps with some spray "contact cleaner" (if you have that).

If the West Marin stores is LOCAL and they have a tech there, they may be able to perform this inspection for you.

Please let me know what is found - when you can.

Thanks, ***** *****

(im)

Hi again,

I see it has been a few days and I haven't seen a response on this page, so I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue OR if the issue was resolved?

I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-
(im)

Nope not fixed still the same issues. Not real happy with Garmin I got no help from them and after buying a new antenna and paying for this service and I am in the same spot. I gave up on the whole thing and I am going a different route thank you

Hi again,

Did you see my note about this unit having an INTERNAL antenna - in addition to the external antenna connector?

Greg A.
Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer