Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

Need to register and update my garmin nuvi 255w, I brought

Customer Question

need to register and update my garmin nuvi 255w
JA: What is the exact model of your Garmin? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: I brought in 5/11/09
JA: What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: the maps are outdated and I never register it
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: none
JA: Anything else you want the GPS expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: just to register and update the maps
Category: GPS
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

When dealing with an update for your Garmin device, it is best to simply download, install, and use Garmin Express.

Go to

http://software.garmin.com/en-GB/express.html

and (if you have a Windows PC) click on the big blue Download button at center bottom of the page.

(If you have an Apple, click on the nearby Download for Mac link.)

And download Garmin Express' installer to your computer, save it, then double-click upon it to install Garmin Express.
Then start the program, Garmin Express. Then connect your Garmin device, with a USB cable.

Then use Garmin Express to update your device.

As for registering: if that doesn't do it, then it's probably superfluous... your device is well past warranty, so for warranty purposes, registration would be of no use. But I suspect registering it isn't necessary - the Garmin Express procedure should take care of everything you need. (If it doesn't, let me know!)

Before you go, please rate my answer - a five-star rating best expresses appreciation of the work I have done. Thanks!