Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years
5229702

I have a Garmin nuvi 50. I need to drive a specific route,

Customer Question

I have a Garmin nuvi 50. I need to drive a specific route, have that "track log" be saved and then open that saved "track log" on a different day and have the nuvi tell me all turns that were made on that one specific route. Is that possible? If so, how do I be sure and save it that first day? Also, how do I open the "track log" to follow the same route on other days?
JA: What is the exact model of your Garmin? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: It's a Garmin Nuvi 50 and is about 5 years old
JA: What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Nothing popped up.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Nothing is wrong with the device! Did you actually what I first sent?
JA: Anything else you want the GPS expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: GPS
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

I'm Greg and will do my best to assist you today.

Sorry I didn't see your question earlier and to hear of any issue you are having using your device.

If you still need help with this issue, may I ask:

1) What "activity" is the device going to be used for (delivery route, customer visits, etc.)?

2) How precise does "track" to be driven have to be (exact same path, same "stops", but perhaps different path, etc.)?

3) Have you used ANY Garmin device (beside this Nuvi) in the past?

Please REPLY using the box below and the SEND button.
IMPORTANT NOTE: ANY requests for "additional services" - such as a phone call - are OPTIONAL and sent BY THE SITE AUTOMATICALLY (and not me), and I am NOT available by phone at the moment. Feel free to DECLINE (close) any such offers, and continue in this text/chat form.

Thanks

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No worries about timing; I was away from keyboard for a few mins.
#1. Device will be used on a specific delivery route that is exactly the same every day.
#2. The route will be exactly the same every day, so the route has to be exact. All potential stops on the route will be exactly the same every day, but I may not have to actually make a delivery at each specific stop everyday.
#3. I have only used the Garmin nuvi 50 and Google Maps on my cell phone.
I just need to be able to have a way to record the route on day one and then be able to recall / reopen / follow the same same route on subsequent days.
Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No to a call; it's too expensive, given what I've already spent on this text-based support. Thank you, though.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 months ago.

OK - very good. Now I have a clear picture of how the device is to be used.

Now the "not so good news". This particular unit (Nuvi 50) was made and sold as part of the "Essential Series" of devices - way back when.

What that means is that it does NOT have one of the KEY ITEMS that I believe you are looking to use - which is called "Trip Planning" or route planning.

Trip Planning allows you (or any other user) to "Build a Route" and store it in the device - to be called up at almost any time you want - such as for your delivery route.

So a "real solution" would be to purchase a different unit that DOES include this Trip Planning feature.

Now a "work around" - which I use on one of my older devices that does not have trip planning - is to SAVE (as "favorites") ALL of the delivery stops that are made, and then pick the next "favorite" from the list - that appears closest from your current stop (that is how favorites are presented).

I know this workaround may sound like a lot of work, but it would save the cost of purchasing a newer/more advanced device.

Also, these "automotive devices" do not really record "tracks" for the purposes of repeating them - that is a function that is used mostly in the "outdoor" devices - such as hiking and such. Putting multiple "stops" is the method that is used for automotive devices - that have the route planning capability.

Please let me know what you think the best choice would be for your current situation (newer more advanced device or using saved favorites).

And let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks, ***** *****

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Greg, I have a driver who is going to drive the route on day one that knows each and every turn, so I just need to put my Garmin nuvi 50 in that driver's vehicle to record and save that exact path (Where I've Been). Then the next day, when I am doing the driving (move my Garmin to my vehicle), open the Log or Where I've Been and redo each road and turn that was made the previous day.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
If purchasing a new Garmin is what I need to do, fine; I just want to know if that is necessary.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 months ago.

Hi again,

I don't see the "Where I've been" available as an option on the Nuvi 50.

Have you TESTED that feature on that device - to make sure its there?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No have not tested, but am going to in a few mins. I see the nuvi 50 has a "Trip Log" and I've turned that on (Settings, Map, Trip Log). Was wondering if that would save the entire 135 mile route, how to be sure and do that when other driver was doing it, and then allow me to recall and follow that same route the next day.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 months ago.

Recalling the trip for a particular time period is usually in the "Apps" submenu of the system - and I believe the Nuvi 50 does not have any of those "apps".

So all you would be SEEING on the screen would be the "track log" - which are usually light blue lines of the traveled path.

I would suspect that trying to follow those lines - on a screen - and driving at the same time would NOT be very practical or SAFE.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok. Thank you.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 months ago.

Here is a link to a short video that shows how the "Where I've been" works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzCDPwCCcdc

Here is another video that shows how the "Trip Planner" works - on units that have it included.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k17Oo_e4wyo

I also have a link to an Amazon Search - for "Drive 51LM", which is a newer unit that DOES include the Trip Planner app.

http://amzn.to/2eYQnTD

NOTE: Since this is a SEARCH RESULTS link, you may be shown devices that do NOT include the trip planner - so be careful to check that feature IS included in any resulting device shown.

Please let me know if you have any more questions about this feature/function.

Thanks, ***** *****

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your assistance. I had done 2 hours of research on my specific questions prior to contacting JustAnswer. I think it may be that your were not able to see my original specific questions, as our interaction trailed away from them.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 months ago.

I did see your questions about a "track log" - if that is what you are referring to.

I also mentioned that this particular device may not have the "advanced features" to really USE that track log - to "record" the route and stops that the driver may have made on a previous day.

Did you have OTHER questions - that were NOT posted here?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Sir, what I was referring to was you jumped to Trip Planning, which was not any part of my question. Your recent tone is unprofessional and unwise given the rating system used in JustAnswer. Thank you for your assistance. I will purchase a new devise that can accomplish what I need. Thank you.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 months ago.

Hi again,

Sorry if my "tone" may have appeared unusual to you. It is VERY HARD to interpret "tone" from any typed messages - so please do not take any offense or other tone - as none was intended.

Please let me know if you have any more questions.
If this has helped answer your question(s), please take a moment to rate MY service level (5-star is my goal) so that I get credit for my time helping you with this question.
You should see some "stars" (and SUBMIT button) to do that, but please let me know if you do NOT see them (you may have to REFRESH your screen) or can not use them.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-