GPS

GPS repair problems? Ask a GPS technician for answers ASAP

My Magellan roadmate is not recognized when I plcug in to…

Customer Question
My Magellan roadmate is...

My Magellan roadmate is not recognized when I plcug in to laptop windows 10

Technician's Assistant: What's the make/model of your GPS unit? How old is it?

Rv9365t-imb had it a little over 1 1/2 years

Technician's Assistant: What happened right before this popped up?

Nothing just hooked up to do a map update. says it is updating for disconnected devices

Technician's Assistant: What troubleshooting have you tried?

Restarted pc unplugged and replugged turned gps on and off...

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the GPS expert to know before I connect you?

Don't think so

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: GPS
7/29/2017
Electronics Technician: Russell H., Service Tech replied 11 months ago
Russell H., Service Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
Did the Magellan previously do updates just fine with this Windows 10 computer, before this problem happened?

not sure never tried as computer is only 6 months old. Havnt tried to update since last year.

You mentioned something about 'updating for disconnected devices' - did that appear on the computer when you connected the Magellan device? or did it appear on the Magellan device?

on computer on gps says connected via usb follow instructions on computer
computer says usb device has malfunction and to unplug and replug it in

OK... have you been doing the Eject Device, or the Remove Device, procedure, before disconnecting the Magellan device from the computer? it's a good idea to do so. (Need details? just ask and I'll provide them.)

Computer does not recognize it to eject it

I see. Well, when you disconnect it, turn it Off for 10 minutes, then turn it On again without re-connecting it, what comes up on the Magellan device's screen? normal stuff? or any message or icon/logo/picture ?

ok back in 10
logo, radar sweeping thing, then opens to normal starting page with no issues
I have to run to store. be back soon
sorry it took so long but I'm back

I'm sorry to say that by 10 when you returned, I was asleep, in my time zone.

OK, so the Magellan device starts up normally when not connected to a computer, that's a good sign enough.

The device itself doesn't need updating 'for disconnected devices' then. I take it, that was a message on your computer.

Let's try this:

1. restart your computer.

2. if your USB cable for connecting the Magellan device is at all Used or old, replace it with a newer or new one.

3. choose a different USB port on the computer.

4. connect the Magellan device to that USB port on the computer (not on a hub)

5. wait a bit, observing. What noises does the computer make, and what does it show?

Magellan is not compatable with Windows 10. Have to do update on older computer.

Yes, that would make sense, so do you have an older computer to update the Magellan device on? if so, use that one for the one update, then you can go back to using your new Windows 10 computer for further updates - provided you update the Magellan device at least every 5 or 6 months, very roughly speaking.

Before you go, please rate my answer - a five-star rating best expresses appreciation of the work I have done. Thanks! and have a great day.