GPS

GPS repair problems? Ask a GPS technician for answers ASAP

I cant update my roadmate, 5230t-lm came with free lifetime…

Customer Question
I cant update my...

I cant update my roadmate,

Technician's Assistant: What's the make/model of your GPS unit? How old is it?

5230t-lm came with free lifetime updates about 3 or 4 years old i believe

Technician's Assistant: What happened right before this popped up?

I was trying to open content manager to check for updates and it wont open

Technician's Assistant: What troubleshooting have you tried?

Uninstalling manager and reinstalling

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the GPS expert to know before I connect you?

No thank you

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: GPS
7/28/2017
Electronics Technician: Michael Hannigan, Engineer replied 9 months ago
Michael Hannigan

Hello. My name is***** will be helping you with your question today. Please give me a moment to review your question and respond.

When you plug in your GPS to the computer, does your computer recognized that it's been connected?

it does

Thank you. When that happens, the software should come up and ask you to update.

Do you know what version of content manager you have installed?

I can tell you how to check based on whether you have a mac or Windows computer.

right click on the Content Manager icon located in the system tray (on a Windows based pc) or click on the Content Manager icon in the Menu Bar (on a Mac) and select "Check for updates now". Content Manager will inform you if you have the latest software already installed.

That will tell you if you have the latest version or if you need to update. If it needs to update, please allow it to do that. Let me know what you find out.

If it still doesn't recognize it, you can go to the new version, which is at the following page:

http://www.magellangps.com/contentmanager

And follow the steps to log into http://www.SmartGPSEco.com

If you already have a Magellan account, the same account will work on this site.

Recognizing it , says there is a map update available. I click on update let it run all night and nothing. Retried this morning and same thing

Have you gone to this link?

http://www.SmartGPSEco.com

the only update it shows is one of course that they want paid for. Phantom Alert. Content Manager show that one and a map update but won't allow me to update.

Using your existing account, it wanted you to pay for an update?

1. Log into SmartGPS Eco with your Magellan GPS account.
  2. Connect your device to your computer using a USB cable.
  3. Click on the *Update *tab.
  4. Click *Download *if you see a notification that says “Software update: There is improved software available for your device.”
  5. Note: Do not disconnect your device while the software update is installing.
  6. Disconnect your device from your computer.

Same process for maps. It will only show available if there is an update.

The link SmartGPS only shows phantom alert update $48.99 no map update. Content manager shows map update and phantom alert update but will not allow me to update map
Ok then was a complete waste of time and money . Not your fault thanks for your help

I checked with Magellan, and SmartGPSEco is the only currently supported update option. I would uninstall content manager and try smartgpseco again. It should provide the same update functions. It's possible that the content manager is reporting incorrectly that there is an update. There's no reason to purchase the alert update.

Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Engineer