Pete, Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years experience installing and repairing electronics.
30970729

Have golf buddy platinum approx. 4 years old. Sent to your

Customer Question

Have golf buddy platinum approx. 4 years old. Sent to your shop last year for new battery-great service-returned in a week. Has worked great until two weeks ago. Now shows 10% battery left whenever I turn it on and will not change when I charge it. It reads seeking satilite and then turns itself off. Love the gps-what is wrong and is it worthwhile repairing? thank you for you reply. ***** ***** The Villages ***@******.***
JA: Did you try charging your GPS from a different power source (e.g. from a wall socket or from your computer)?
Customer: Have been charging it on same wall socket in kitchen for the last 4 years with no problem.
JA: Are you using the charger that came with your GPS, or an aftermarket charger?
Customer: Using the charger that came with product.
JA: Anything else you want the GPS expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: GPS
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

I am Pete, and I'll be happy to assist with your question today.

Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Hi Peter, is the GB in regular use?

Long periods of non-use can cause the battery to degrade if it is not regularly discharged and recharged again.

It may need another new battery.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
use GB 3 times a week, every week
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Ok, well a replacement battery is likely to resolve the problem of it only showing 10% left, so it is worthwhile repairing if you want to hold onto it for another while.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Is it worth me trying to repair or just buy a new one?
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

It would be cheaper to repair, and you will probably get another year or so out of it if you are using it 3 times a week, as long as it doesn't have any other defects.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It shows only 10% left when I put on charger and it says fully charged!!!
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

The battery will lose its ability to store charge over time, either through lack of use or overuse.

If you are getting very frequent use from it - 3 times a week, every week, then it is time that the battery gets replaced again.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I can buy new square GB for $80. Is sending it to you worth it?
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

If you can get a new one for $80 then I would recommend going for that instead - you will get a brand new GB for little more than the cost of replacing the battery, and it should last you much longer as well.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for you input. I just thought the $250 I spent on the Platinum, with a new battery last year, would give me better service.
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

You could take it up with the company that fitted the battery - that was not me.

I am an independent expert, not associated with any other company, nor am I paid to provide support on their behalf.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I was under the distinct impression that I was conversing with a GB rep!!
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the battery was replaced by GB.
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Ok, it is GB that you will need to get in touch with then.

You can contact GB at:

https://help.golfbuddyglobal.com/contactus.asp

Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Is there anything else I can help you with today?