Pete, Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years experience installing and repairing electronics.
30970729

I bought a TomTom Start some years ago. I just put into use

Customer Question

I bought a TomTom Start some years ago. I just put into use not bothering to activate. I purchased a map earlier and it takes an activation number for the download. I don't have any instructions to refer to. If it is of any help the serial number is: GU4043B01920. HELP!
JA: What TomTom model do you have?
Customer: TomTom Start.
JA: What have you tried so far with your TomTom?
Customer: I am trying to download a map that I purchased for an update. I don't have the activation code that came with it for that process.
JA: Anything else you want the GPS expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't know. Like what?
Category: GPS
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

I am Pete, and I'll be happy to assist with your question today.

Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

To install a map on your TomTom Start, first connect the device to your computer. (use a port directly on the computer and not on a USB hub).
Next, you should create a backup before starting to update your map. To create the backup I recommend making a manual one by copying all of the contents from your TomTom to a location on your computer.
You will need to use MyDrive - if you don't already have it, you can download and install it from

https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/mydrive-connect/
After having connected your device to your computer, TomTom MyDrive should either have started automatically or you'll now need to start it manually. If you've purchased a new map for a different region and it wont show up in your updates you should find it in the menu Purchase maps in MyDrive.
Now go there and click on install. Take care not to purchase the map anew but only check the map that you have already been paid for.

Now the map should download and be installed to your device.

--------------------
Your satisfaction is my priority; I hope I have earned 5 stars today!
Kindly take a moment to rate my service 5 stars and press submit at the top of your question page so I am rewarded for my time; tips appreciated :)
You can always reply back after rating me if you need any further assistance at all.
Pete.
--------------------