Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years
5229702

In 2013 I bought a Garmin GPS which included in the price

Customer Question

In 2013 I bought a Garmin GPS which included in the price updating. Nüvi 2555LMT s/n 2LQ303902. HOW DO I DOWNLOAD UPDATES ONTO MY GARMIN GPS?
JA: What is the exact model of your Garmin? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: I bought it in 2013. I don't know what other information to give you other than what I gave you.
JA: What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: I don't know how to answer this question.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I have the Garmin hooked up to my MacBookPro and went online to find how to load updates onto my Garmin. When I bought the Garmin, I paid for indefinite updates. But I don't know how to upload them. I only get companies that want to sell me updates.
JA: Anything else you want the GPS expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Basically, I want to download updates onto my Garmin and I don't know how to do it. I have already purchased unlimited updates when I purchased my Garmin.
Category: GPS
Expert:  Greg A. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

I'm Greg and will do my best to assist you today.

Sorry I didn't see your question earlier and to hear of any issue you are having with your device.

To help you with this issue, may I ask:

1) What is the operational status of the device at this time - especially related to the BATTERY LIFE of the device once disconnected from any power source (does it continue to operate for AT LEAST 20 minutes)?

2) Did the device "change mode" when connected to the computer AND was "seen" by the computer (as a removable storage device)?

Please REPLY using the box below and the SEND button.

IMPORTANT NOTE: If you see ANY requests for "additional services" - such as a phone call - please understand that these are OPTIONAL and sent BY THE SITE AUTOMATICALLY (and not me), and I am NOT available by phone at the moment. Feel free to DECLINE (close) any such offers, and continue in this text/chat form.

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
1) The device is hooked up to the computer at this time. The device will continue working after I shut it off, but I never check as I put it away when I have reached my destination. 2) The Garmin GPS was seen by the computer as a removable storage device.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 3 months ago.

OK - can you TEST the battery life, by removing the device from the computer - and try to use it - to see if it DOES last for at least 10 minutes?

Is is IMPORTANT - because there is a point where the device is removed from power (or computer) and the updated software actually "loads" into the device.

If there is NOT enough battery life, this loading could fail - essentially turning the device into a "brick".

Please perform that test and let me know the results.

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I went online to lifetime map updates to download and update my Garmin, but because I have a Mac, the microsoft would not download.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 3 months ago.

Hi again,

I just saw your call request, but unfortunately I'm not near a phone right now to be able to call. However another expert may respond to your call request before I can reach a phone. It will be AT LEAST 10 minutes before I can reach a phone.

We can also continue here in this chat/text form.

Please let me know if that will work for you.

Thanks

Expert:  Greg A. replied 3 months ago.

NOTE: since you do NOT have a Windows machine, you do NOT want any Windows software.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Does the Garmin update only come through Windows?
Expert:  Greg A. replied 3 months ago.

No - there is a Mac version too.

Let me see if I can find a direct link the appropriate page.

Did you START that battery TEST for me?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
When I disconnect the Garmin from my computer it does not continue.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 3 months ago.

OK - please TRY to power the device ON (press and HOLD the power key until the screen comes ON, then release the power key).

Then let it settle on the MAIN SCREEN, where the "battery indicator" should appear at the top.

Then try to move around the different screens for a few minutes, and return to the main screen and check the battery indicator again - if you can.

Expert:  Greg A. replied 3 months ago.

Did you get the device to power ON and operate - without being connected to any power source?

Also, I can now access a phone. Let me know if you want me to call now.

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Let us phone.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 3 months ago.

I tried to accept your call request, but see a failure of some kind.

The system may send you a note about correcting this failure, but we can also continue here - if you would like.

Please let me know how you would like to handle this.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
This Garmin did continue to operate after disconnecting its source. It is still disconnected and is still working.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 3 months ago.

OK - very good.

So I believe we can now assume the battery is "good enough" to do an update.

So let me send you a link to a VIDEO that shows how to do the updates.

BUT, please just WATCH the video once or twice (its pretty short), and then let me know if you have any specific questions about the process.

Also, they recommend a couple of things - to make it "easier", but there are a few things that can be skipped or done "one at a time" that I have found more "reliable" and safe.

Click Here for Video --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nB4xWUY5E8

Let me know once you watched a couple of times, and if you have any questions about the process.

Thanks, ***** *****

Expert:  Greg A. replied 3 months ago.

By the way, the following should be a direct link to the page they want you to start on - to get Garmin Express onto the computer.

http://www.garmin.com/express

Also, the video shows the "Download for Mac" button, because the site USUALLY detects the type of computer (and browser) being used. If you do NOT see the big blue button, there SHOULD be a link for the Mac version.

Expert:  Greg A. replied 3 months ago.

Let me know if you have any questions so far - about the process.

I also have another couple of notes/recommendations - about HOW to go through the process that are DIFFERENT from what the video shows.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I watched the video once, but then it kept going to different videos. I have now forgotten what the first one suggested.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Can you lead me through?
Expert:  Greg A. replied 3 months ago.

OK - it sounds like the "Autoplay" feature is turned ON in your Youtube settings.

You should be able to "go back" in your browser, to view that video again.

OR just click the link (above) again, and that should take you there.

Expert:  Greg A. replied 3 months ago.

I can TRY.

Have you reconnected the device to the computer or other power source yet?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have done that now.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 3 months ago.

OK - step 1. Go to the link and download/install Garmin Express program - for the Mac.

http://www.garmin.com/express

Let me know if that works for you.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The computer says "This version of Garmin Express will not run on your system."
Expert:  Greg A. replied 3 months ago.

OK - please go back to that page and click on the "System requirements" link.

Let me know if you computer meets the MAC requirements.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I'm afraid I don't know enough about computers to find out how much space I have left, etc. It is on Wifi, does that help.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 3 months ago.

Let me see if I can find the steps to CHECK those requirements, but the storage space is stated as a "MAY" - so should not be the first concern.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I am leaving for Wisconsin in the morning and it is now 11:27. I wanted to update my garmin before making the trip, but I think I left it until it is too late. I really need to get to bed now. Thank you for all your help. I will need to sign off and explore this another time.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you again, good bye.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 3 months ago.

Here is a page that describe how to find your OS version.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201260

Give that a try and let me know what you see for YOUR OS (Operating System).

Expert:  Greg A. replied 3 months ago.

Very good.

IF the device operates normally AND the maps are NOT too old, using it with the current maps should be fine.

Also, if you are or may be visiting someone with a Windows computer, you MAY be able to update the device and maps there - assuming you take the USB cable with you. Just download and install the Windows version on their computer, and remember to NOT "register" the device on that computer, as it is not really needed (in most cases).

Please let me know if you have any more questions.
If this has helped answer your question(s), please take a moment to rate MY service level (5-star is my goal) so that I get credit for my time helping you with this question.
You should see some "stars" (and SUBMIT button) to do that, but please let me know if you do NOT see them (you may have to REFRESH your screen) or can not use them.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-

Expert:  Greg A. replied 3 months ago.

Hi again,

I see it has been a few days and I haven't seen a response on this page, so I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue OR if the issue was resolved?

I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-
(im)