Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years
5229702

I updated my nuvi 1300 and it changed my default state to

Customer Question

I updated my nuvi 1300 and it changed my default state to Ohio from Michigan as well as not being able to locate addresses in Michigan.
JA: What model of Nuvi are you using? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: It's a nuvi 1300, and it's about 3 or 4 years old
JA: What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: I entered an address and a pop up said that my maps were over 1 year old and that I needed to update them.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I changed my default state back to Michigan, United States, but when I put in a Michigan address, it says item not found.
JA: Anything else you want the GPS expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I followed the instructions for updating the maps exactly how the site told me, I can't imagine what I did wrong.
Category: GPS
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I can change the default state back to Michigan, but it won't find any Michigan addresses. When the unit is turned off and then turned back on, the default state goes back to Ohio.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

I'm Greg and will do my best to assist you today.

Sorry I didn't see your question earlier and to hear of any issue you are having with your device.

To help you with this issue, may I ask:

1) When did this "update" take place, and was this issue noticed ONLY after the update?

2) Did you see ANY "notices" during the update - about limited memory space for the updates?

Please use the REPLY box below.
IMPORTANT NOTE:
If you see ANY requests for "additional services" - such as a phone call - please understand that these are sent BY THE SITE AUTOMATICALLY (and not me), and I am NOT available by phone at the moment. Feel free to DECLINE (close) any such offers, and continue in this text/chat form.

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The update took place on Friday the 14th of April and I did not see any updates about limited space for the updates
Expert:  Greg A. replied 4 months ago.

OK - can you check the "Map Info" screen and tell me EXACTLY what you see there - including ALL lines of text and any icons you see?

To get to the Map Info screen, start at the main screen and touch Tools, then Settings, then Map, then Map Info.

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I don't have the unit with me, I'm at work until 5:30pm edt. I was hoping this was a common problem that could easily be dealt with.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Is there time for me to run home and get the unit?
Expert:  Greg A. replied 4 months ago.

I understand.

May I ask a different question:

Do you have or ever have installed a memory card in the device - to store the larger map files?

I only ask because this "sounds like" the device MAY be running low on internal memory space, and you have a "subset" of maps installed now - which may not include the DETAILED maps of Michigan.

NOTE: This IS a "common problem" - as the detailed map files sent in an update GROWN in size for each release.

The solution IF the device is running low on memory is to purchase and installed a memory card (microSD I believe) of about 8GB capacity. That should be enough memory to hold all the maps you will need for some time.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Will I need to update again?
Expert:  Greg A. replied 4 months ago.

NOTE: 8GB microSD cards are getting "hard to find" at local stores, so let me give you a reference to where you can get them online - for a reasonable price.

8GB microSD card SEARCH (Amazon results).
http://amzn.to/1O4tS7k

And yes, you will need to run the update again - once the microSD card is installed. The update program SHOULD detect that the card is installed and will load ALL maps available onto the card (assuming ALL of the US states or North America).

Please let me know what you find.

Thanks, ***** *****

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Will I be charged again if I end this session and then contact you again?
Expert:  Greg A. replied 4 months ago.

We can keep this session open for pretty much as long as needed - even after rating.

You should see some "stars" (and SUBMIT button) to do that rating, but please let me know if you do NOT see them (you may have to REFRESH your screen) or can not use them.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
if I leave this session on all night, it's still only one session. Cause I'll be honest Greg, I really don't think it was worth $34.00. No offense.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 4 months ago.

I understand - no offense taken.

Please feel free to take as long as you need - to get this straightened out.

I'm here almost every day to help, and can answer almost any question you may have to get to the bottom of this issue - IF you are willing to communicate with me.

Let me know what you find and we can continue from that point.

Take Care & Travel Safe in the mean time, Greg A.