Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years
5229702

I want to upgrade my GPS for Thailand as many new

Customer Question

I want to upgrade my GPS for Thailand as many new roads/connexions have been constructed in past years. Thks
JA: Just to clarify, what's the brand and model of the GPS?
Customer: It is a Garmin 2300
JA: What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Nothing that I al aware of
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: My GPS is still working but new road have been constructed since i bought my GPS and no upgrade since 5 years
JA: Anything else you want the GPS expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thank u only upgrade
Category: GPS
Expert:  Greg A. replied 9 months ago.

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

Sorry to hear of any issue you may be having with your device.

To upgrade your device software and maps, you should be able to get a program on your computer - called Garmin Express - that will do the job for you.

NOTE: You will also want to have HIGH SPEED INTERNET ACCESS, and perhaps an SD/microSD card (IF the maps have grown large enough to exceed the internal memory of the device).

You should be able to get Garmin Express from the following link. There is should be a video on that page to show how to get started with the program, but the BASICS are to download, install, and run that program, THEN connect the device to the computer (via USB cable), and ADD it to the program (see video).

Once ADDED, you will have the opportunity to UPDATE the device software (at no cost) AND the program will offer any map updates that are available for the device. NOTE: There MAY be a cost to update the maps - if the device does NOT have "Lifetime Map" updates for that region.

http://www.garmin.com/express

Please give that a try and let me know what you find, or if you have any more questions.

And when you are ready, please take a moment to rate MY service level (5-star is my goal) so that I get credit for my time helping you today.
You should see some "stars" (and SUBMIT button) to do that, but please let me know if you do NOT see them (you may have REFRESH your screen) or can not use them.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Sorry I just want to update maps for THAILAND, I dont want 49 states. Pls advise
Expert:  Greg A. replied 9 months ago.

Hi again,

Is the "49 states" what is currently installed in the device?

AND is that an "LM" model - that Thailand maps were ADDED to?

Thanks

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No I bo ught thisdevice in THAILAND and I have (to my knowledge) only maps for Thaiuland. I dont use this device outside of Thailand and no caâcity neither time to download 49 states
Expert:  Greg A. replied 9 months ago.

OK - so did you run the Garmin Express program and did it ONLY OFFER the 49 states - as an update?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It showed upgrade all 3hours+ download and capacity of up to 3GO. In my device only Thailand streetMap V12.1 NT (Eng) ALL and Thailand street map V12.1 NT 3D
Expert:  Greg A. replied 9 months ago.

OK - so do you have VERY HIGH SPEED internet access?

And if so, are you getting VERY GOOD transfer speeds at this time?

I only ask because the 3+ hours are only an ESTIMATE - based on current internet conditions.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
currently I have 130Mbit, but never mind the time of update, I just want update of Thailand map
Expert:  Greg A. replied 9 months ago.

OK - are you seeing something in Garmin Express - for the updates - that is a DETAILS link (instead of ALL)?

If so, can you click that link and tell me what sub-options are shown?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have disconnected my device and cant find the download possibility
Expert:  Greg A. replied 9 months ago.

May I ask if you can find the SERIAL NUMBER of the device (usually shown in one of the Garmin Express screens), and send that back to me?

Thanks

Expert:  Greg A. replied 9 months ago.

The serial number should also be printed on the bottom or back of the unit, inside an outlined box (remove mounting bracket to view).

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
s/n 24Z055629
For previous question
installation
49 States, Database for FM, Traffic providers, Traffic text, Proximity alert, Firmware updte for CTMxxx
Expert:  Greg A. replied 9 months ago.

OK - can you go to the following page - with your device connected to the computer - and tell me if that page works for you and finds the device, and THEN what you see when you click on the DEVICE CONTENT tab?

https://my.garmin.com/maps/updates.htm?deviceType=automotive

Thanks

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
OK while going to your file, I come back to Garmin express and the same options of download
Expert:  Greg A. replied 9 months ago.

OK - I'm wondering now if you have a "remarketed" (or modified) unit.

Can you safely remove the device (exit Garmin Express, WAIT about 30 seconds, then disconnect device from USB cable), and then check the "myMaps" screen - and tell me EXACTLY what you see there, including ALL TEXT LINES and ICONS?

To get to that screen, start at the MAIN screen, then touch Tools, then Settings, then myMaps (you may have to scroll to see the last one).

Also, let me know if you have an SD card installed in the unit.

Thanks

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
OK it shows what I told u before Thailand street map V12.1NT ALL and Thailand street mapV12.1 NT 3D
Expert:  Greg A. replied 9 months ago.

ANY icons - such as a box or two - with check marks in them?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
2icons square marked
Expert:  Greg A. replied 9 months ago.

ANY "up or down" arrows on that screen - to scroll up or down?

Expert:  Greg A. replied 9 months ago.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
but not finger
sensitive.NO SD CARD unless inside the device which I cant open
Expert:  Greg A. replied 9 months ago.

There SHOULD be a TINY microSD slot - on the SIDE of the device.

Is that slot EMPTY?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
it is EMPTY
Expert:  Greg A. replied 9 months ago.

OK - it is sounding more and more that you have a remarketed device OR "special" maps installed.

This is because:

1) you are SEEING the 49 states listed - in Garmin Express.

2) MOST "official" Garmin maps use NAMES like "City Navigator" (vs. street map).

Are you still in the same area where you purchased this device, and if so, is that shop still open for business?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I am still in the area of purchasing my device i.e Pattaya, Thailand. I even b ought 2 devices after first one stolen; I have a receipt of the shop (Indian owner I believe) but I dont know if this shop is still open or not. The packaging of the device shows some data such as : 010-00902-3B, bar code 7(###) ###-####2. I really thought purchasing a genuine Garmin device
Expert:  Greg A. replied 9 months ago.

It MAY be "genuine" - but there are many sellers that may take "shortcuts" - if you know what I mean.

I was also trying to get through the Thai language (which I can't really read) Garmin site, and found the following page that MAY help. You can at least try it, check the "English Instruction" button and see if that may lead in another direction.

http://www.garmin.co.th/mapupdate/

Also, I have to sign off for now - as its past 1AM for me.

But I will be back in 8-9 hours - to check on any results you may have.

Thanks & I will check when I get back online, Greg A.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
OK thanks for your assistance. I tried your Thai site, but while updating Garmin as 1 step to map upgrade, Server error occured permanently. In that case I think I want to claim back my payment as I feel not served correctly, not due to your assistance which is great but by the fact that GARMIN doesnt survey the counterfeit market more accuretly and leave me with a device which cant be updated and seems not genuine even though the purchase price was genuine. Thanks to let me know what I should do to get refund of my money. Good night
Expert:  Greg A. replied 9 months ago.

OK - if you haven't tried the Thai site more than a couple times, I would encourage doing that - to see if the page "comes back" (site pages do become unreachable at times - and the error may not actually be "permanent".

I also TRIED and successfully downloaded the "launcher" file from the follow page, AND see that there is a Contact number on that page - right above the BLUE buttons. It also says "You may also contact Garmin authorised dealer for product support."

http://www.garmin.co.th/mapupdater/

By the way, I could be wrong - about this being a "modified" device.

As mentioned earlier, you may want to contact the original shop - OR a local "authorised" dealer - to at least verify if this IS (or is not) a "genuine" device.

If you have ANY concerns about your account or site operation, You can contact the Customer Service department at the following page:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/help

You should also have an option on that page to contact Customer Service via email, chat, or phone.

Please let me know if you can check on this device at a local shop.

Thanks, ***** *****

(im)

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi,Just tried again the website. While executing the launcher, it shows recognizing this device : nuvi 2300(3835976512) which is not my s/n and then appears Connecting Server failed. I will try to find the shop which btw in the Telcomcenter was the only shop to sale GARMIN brand, so cant understand only counterfeit products. I know there is a GARMIN shop in Bangkok but that is a 5/6 hours drive from where I live.
Thank you for vour assistance, I shall reclaim my money back (hopefully) through your customer service, keep my old device and maybe switch to most upgraded navigator TomTom or else.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 9 months ago.

Hi again,

The number you saw(###) ###-#### is the "Unit ID" of the device, and is a separate number from the Serial Number.

Also, did you see that there is a Contact number on that page - right above the BLUE buttons. It also says "You may also contact Garmin authorised dealer for product support."

And if so, did you TRY that contact number?

Here is what I'm seeing, at the bottom of the page linked below.

===============================

Any failure, please dial Garmin at +886 2 26429199 ext2 or email Garmin. You may also contact Garmin authorised dealer for product support.

================================

http://www.garmin.co.th/mapupdater/

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No I cant get as far as to see phone numbers for support and the support nbr you gave me is in TAIWAN. I dont want to waste more time on that matter.
Thanks for your help
Regards
Expert:  Greg A. replied 9 months ago.

Very good.

Let me know if you have any more questions about this device or issue.

Best of luck, Greg A.

(im)