GPS

GPS Repair Problems? Ask a GPS Technician for Answers ASAP

GPS

Can you help me? Computer lost power during download of map.

Customer Question
Can you help me?Computer lost...
Can you help me?Computer lost power during download of map. Map doesn't appear in Device Map list. Software says that map is already loaded and will not reload or repair.Spent 5 hours to get the software to proceed to the download (spurious "can't do that" message!), then 1 hour into download the power went off.Now what. I need to use the GPS Monday November 28 2016 at 6:30 AM Eastern time.
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact make and model of your machine?
Customer: Garmin GPSMAP 276Cx
JA: What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: ?
JA: What confuses you?
Customer: our response, what popped up?
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: The usual, power off, power on, same with battery removed, removed SD card. Wait, didn't retry since removing the card.
JA: Anything else you want the GPS expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I'll be back.
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: Ok, there is no difference. the problem may be at the Garmin Express database. It may think that the software was loaded, but it is not.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: GPS
11/27/2016
Electronics Technician: Dustin, Senior Technician replied 1 year ago
Dustin, Senior Technician

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is Dustin.
I'm sorry to hear about the issue you are having, I will do my best to help you resolve it.

I know the exact issue you are facing and how to resolve it, as this is something Ive been handling and fixing for the last 15 years.

The main question I have is how do you want to work through this.. I can either guide you via written support through steps you have to carry out yourself.

Or, I can connect to your mac or pc and fix the entire issue for you, and make sure the actual maps do u pdate to your garmin.

How do you want to begin?

Dustin S

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Written

Ok, the steps below assume you have a windows PC.. If you have a mac, let me know as these steps wont apply.

first thing to do Is close garmin express. Then connect the garmin to your computer.

Then, hold down the windows key on your keyboard and press R, type in %appdata% and hit enter.

Now, in the appdata local and appdata roaming screens, we need to delete anything that is garmin related.

Then, go to this folder %temp%\img delete the img folder

Next, click this pc, you should see the garmin listed as a drive.. We need to open it, and then locate and delete this file inside the garmin if its present

gupdate.gcd

Then, instead of garmin express, lets try an alternate program.

Download install and run the garmin webupdater

http://www8.garmin.com/products/webupdater/howtoinstall.jsp

Let me know if that will successfully update your garmin, or if it gets stuck too.

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a 5 star rating clicked and submitted when you are satisfied.. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Hello again, I never heard back from you.. Did you encounter issues completing the above steps, or did those steps solve the issue?

Dustin S.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I ran out of time. I work two jobs and have only limited time to fix these stupid problems. I started looking into your ideas. So far they seem to be on the right track. You seem t have much more knowledge than the typical help clerk. I will get back when time permits.

If time is an issue, this is something I could connect and fix for you at a reduced fee. ( the site normally charges 39$ )

All I would need you to do, is connect the garmin to your computer, then run my connection file so I can connect to your computer. And then through my connection I could do the work for you, while you watch tv, eat dinner, etc..

Ill send that offer to you now so you have an idea of the fee for that offer, but please dont take this to mean that you have to accept the offer. If you want to continue via written support as / when your time permits, thats absolutely fine.

Dustin S

I am going to be away from work for a while, therefore im going to opt out. If another expert picks this up and wants to help you run through the steps you will be notified by email.

If no one picks this up or you dont want to continue, the link below will be of assistance to you.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-can-i-request-refund-0

Dustin, Senior Technician