GPS

GPS Repair Problems? Ask a GPS Technician for Answers ASAP

GPS

My Garmin Nuvi has been trying to download 2016 maps now for

Customer Question
about 16 hours and has...
My Garmin Nuvi has been trying to download 2016 maps now for about 16 hours and has Quit
JA: What is the exact model of your Garmin? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: This is a Nuvi 700 series
JA: What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: It has been running and would say 12 minutes left and then 12 hours left.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: i have not disconnected it
JA: Anything else you want the GPS expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: None I do not know what to do while it is connected it says do not disconnect
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: GPS
11/23/2016
Electronics Technician: GeekGal, Electronics Support Tech replied 1 year ago
GeekGal
GeekGal, Electronics Support Tech

Good morning! My name is Alison. It would be my pleasure to help you with this.Generally speaking I would never advise that you disconnect until an update is completed, as it can corrupt your Nuvi, but....in this case, it is the only thing that you can do. It sounds as though the software download and/or install has been corrupted. Please disconnect the Nuvi from the computer. Try to power it off and then back on. If it freezes, won't starting or is generally misbehaving, we'll need to a master reset on the unit.

Please note: A master reset will erase all your waypoints or favourites and will restore your unit to the default factory settings.

To perform a Master Reset on your Garmin Nuvi 700 Series

• Start with the device switched off and unplugged from power.
  • Touch and hold the lower right corner of the screen.
  • Continue touching and holding the lower right hand corner of the screen then press the power button.
  • Release the power button when the device powers on.
  • You will see a new message: Do you really want to erase all user data?
  • Remove your finger from the touchscreen when this message displays.
  • Tap Yes (Button on the right).

Your device will automatically reset. Follow the on screen prompts then take your device outdoors to acquire satellites.

Please give this a try and let me know the results. Thank you!

Greg A.
Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer