GPS

GPS Repair Problems? Ask a GPS Technician for Answers ASAP

GPS

My Garmin nuvi55 is not recognized by my computer and wont

Customer Question
update. Just sits at on...
my Garmin nuvi55 is not recognized by my computer and wont update. Just sits at on screen call garmin.com/express.
JA: What is the exact model of your Garmin? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: the serial is 4cm026485 for nuvi 55. I purchased it about 2 years ago
JA: What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: I tried to update maps with my computer, but my windows computer said it was unrecognized device and I should get a new one.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Tried to charge it in my car for a few minutes-no change
JA: Anything else you want the gps expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: We leave on a trip tomorrow morning and need it to work soon.
Submitted: 12 months ago.Category: GPS
11/21/2016
Electronics Technician: GeekGal, Electronics Support Tech replied 12 months ago
GeekGal
GeekGal, Electronics Support Tech

Hi there! My name is***** am a computer professional with over 15 years of experience with both Mac and Windows computers, phones, tablets, e-readers, and printers. It would be my pleasure to assist you with this. In order to provide the best possible help, I will need to know what operating system you have on your computer. If you're not sure, please click this link and tell me what you see:

http://whatsmyos.com/

It's Windows 7
Also, it worked fine just last July. This is first time I got message that computer doesn't recognize it.

Thank you for that information. Please give just a moment to research and to type up troubleshooting instructions.

Let's start with the easiest possible fixes. Please disconnect the Garmin and power it off. Next restart your computer and login and open the Garmin software. AFTER the Garmin software is open, connect your Garmin. Please let me know the results.

Did that resolve the issue for you? Or do you need more help?

I give up, I can't even power down the Garmin, and Garmin software said it didn't recognize the model or serial number. I don't mind if you keep the $5, but please make sure my free trial with Just Ask is over and I am not stuck with a subscription for your services. Please have someone email me to the regard that I have no contract with Just Ask. I would very much appreciate that.

I'm sorry that you're having so much trouble. You should be able to power it off by pressing and holding the power button and not releasing it until you see a prompt to turn it off. It sounds like you may need to do a master reset on your Nuvi.

Note: A master reset will erase all favorites and will restore your device to the default factory settings

1. Start with the device OFF and unplugged from power
    • To verify the device is powered off and not in standby mode, press and hold down the power button until prompted to turn off the device
  2. Press and hold the lower right hand corner of the display portion of the touchscreen
  3. Power on the device while continuing to hold the display
  4. Remove your finger from the touchscreen when "Erase all user data?" appears
  5. Touch Yes
    • If text language is not in English, this is the button on the right

The device will now reset. Follow the on-screen prompts and then place your device in an area with a clear view of the sky until it acquires satellites.

1Although the master reset will erase all saved favorites, any loaded custom points of interest will remain intact on the device.

Another option to perform a master reset for these devices:

1. Touch View Map
  2. Touch the Speed icon
  3. Touch and hold the speedometer for approximately 5 seconds
  4. Release your touch when the Diagnostics Page displays
  5. Touch Clear all user data
  6. Touch Yes when prompted to "Erase all user data?"

As an independent contractor I don't have access to billing information but I'll send a note to billing with your request. To follow up, you can contact Customer Service via email at***@******.*** or you can view options for contacting them by chat or phone at ww2.justanswer.com/help.

If the information that I have provided has been helpful, would you mind taking a moment to rate my service? I'd really appreciate it! You can give your rating by selecting the stars located on the top right of the question page.

GeekGal
GeekGal
GeekGal, Electronics Support Tech