Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

I just tried to get a new map for my Nuvi 3490 and your

Customer Question

Hi I just tried to get a new map for my Nuvi 3490 and your program says I cannot get any update?
JA: I'm an assistant to the gps technician. I work with them to help customers like you.
Customer: Did you see the note I wrote about getting a new map?
JA: What model of Nuvi are you using? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: 3490 and I bought it three or four years ago
JA: What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: I j ust et y9ou a note giving you the model of my
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I just tried to buy a new map using the "My Garmin" program I downloaded.
JA: Anything else you want the gps expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't know what to say except that I downloaded the program, it identified my Garmin and told me maps were no longer available
Category: GPS
Expert:  Russell H. replied 8 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Perhaps you need to try using a different program first.

When dealing with an update for your Garmin device, it is best to simply download, install, and use Garmin Express.

Go to

http://software.garmin.com/en-GB/express.html

and (if you have a Windows PC) click on the big blue Download button at center bottom of the page. (If you have an Apple, click on the nearby Download for Mac link.) And download Garmin Express' installer to your computer, save it, then double-click upon it to install Garmin Express.

Then start the program, Garmin Express. Then connect your Garmin device. Then use Garmin Express to update your device.

Then see if that helps with the My Garmin program also. It may well be just what the situation needs. If not, then check that your map type is still sold anywhere... even a site you do not want to visit nor use... just to make sure the map is not genuinely no longer issued nor updated. (Check the version of map offered, too, to make sure it is indeed newer than the one on your Garmin device, of course.)