Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

I have a garmin nuvi 2555LMT, and tried to put the battery

Customer Question

Hi! I have a garmin nuvi 2555LMT , and tried to put the battery in. When I did the whole thing came apart not flush. I put the battery in and tried to put it back together but it won't work Can toy help me?
JA: What is the exact model of your Garmin? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: NUVI2555LMT. It's about 2 years old.
JA: What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: I saw a demonstration on a disc.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I've tried to put the copper 2 inch extended wiring part back flush but it won't hold there.
JA: Anything else you want the gps expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: GPS
Expert:  Russell H. replied 8 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

What is the problem with fitting the device back together? remember, that I cannot see what you see, and indeed, even with a photo or two, I might miss the essentials. So let me know, please. And I'll help if I can.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The device fits back together.It does not work though.Do I have to put the screws in first for it to work?

No, the screws will not make it work properly.

If it is 'dead', i.e. without signs of life, the question is: Is the battery connected properly?

And also, Is the battery charged? if it is a new battery, it is NOT charged, and it will not work properly until it is charged for some considerable time, at least 4 hours on the charger is advisable with any new rechargeable battery.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
When I put the gps back together, and put the new battery in one of the wires (the battery hook up wires), got bent. I bent it back and then the gps battery hooked up.

So - is the problem solved then? I hope so.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No. Because the gps only makes a sound when i hook it up to the car.

It sounds to me as if the battery might need charging up for at least two hours. Please try that. And let me know the result, at your leisured convenience. Thanks.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
How do you charge the battery?

Connect the Garmin to an external power source (e.g. your car, if using a cigarette lighter adapter.) (Or, to an AC outlet with an AC Adapter designed for the Garmin device.)

Leave it there without turning it On, for at least 2 hours.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I put the battery in the car outlet and recharged it. Only the audio worked after it charged. Why isn't the visual working? Can you help me?

Perhaps I can help with that - and, getting the audio working is better than nothing.

1. What shows on the screen at the moment ? I have to ask.

2. Is the screen lit at all, also?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Nothing. ON the screen shows . It is not lit at all

On the screen shows... what? nothing?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
On the screen shows nothing!

OK, then (and thanks for responding readily with info on the condition of your device):

- when you were working with the battery, did you perhaps dislodge a ribbon cable (flat, very thin but broad, is how the screen or LCD part gets its power and signals) ?

If so, it may need re-seating in place. Which is best done with a very delicate, capable touch, and observing electrostatic discharge precautions lest you damage things more than you fix them. In short, even if the fix is that easy, this may well need an electronics technician specializing in device repair, to take it on.

What do you think? Let me know.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
How do i find an electronics technician. Also I have tried to reset the broad thin copper wiring about five times to no avail.

To repair a Garmin device, needs either sending it off to Garmin for a fixed-price repair (and you may not want to pay the fixed-price... let me know if you're interested and I will look it up and quote it for you) , or else finding a qualified repair center in your region (for that I would need to know, your region by zip code or town/city and state, please.)

Let me know. Thanks.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I'd like to find someone who repairs it in the 01119 zip code

OK.

(The fixed-price, send-it-to-Garmin, rate is quoted as $ 110.00 just by the way.)

I am looking up that information.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you.

These are listed, you may try inquiries with them (and be sure to ask for a price quote on servicing! If they name $110 or more, then most likely they're just sending the device off to Garmin and charging a bit more for themselves perhaps):

BSR Avionic

*****/p>

SPRINGFIELD MA 01118

(###) ###-####/p>

or

Dick's Sporting Goods Inc

*****/p>

WEST SPRINGFIELD MA 01089

(###) ###-####/p>

or

EASTERN MOUNTAIN SPORTS INC

HOLYOKE MALL AT INGLESIDE

***** SPC C-327

HOLYOKE, MA 01040

If these cannot help you, there are lots of other places to check (incl. Best Buy, Costco, WalMart, and such more unlikely prospects that I skipped mentioning but which are in your region - and which you can find for yourself, too...) and places farther away than 6 miles to drive... let me know if those three cannot help you and I will list others to check on also.

If this answers your question, please rate my answer. A five-star rating would be appreciated!

Thanks.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you. I'm going to try again to hookup the Gatlin right.

Observe anti-static discharge precautions when doing so, I advise. And a delicate touch.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
None of those places fixes gps'

I'm sorry.

Have you checked with the local Best Buy, Costco, and WalMart?

What place did you buy the GPS from, originally (it might fix them as well as sell them) ?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I'll try those places tomorrow.

A good idea. Meanwhile, good night.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Good night , and thanks.

When there are any new developments, or results, please let me know, so that I may offer further advice or so that this case may be closed. Thanks.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi Russell, I talked to Best Buy and they said that its cheaper to buy a new Armin than it is to fix it. Is this true?