GPS

GPS Repair Problems? Ask a GPS Technician for Answers ASAP

GPS

I just received the Magellan road mate 1340 and I plugged it

Customer Question
into my lap top to...
I just received the Magellan road mate 1340 and I plugged it into my lap top to update it but my lap top has error message that the usb has malfunctioned
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact make and model of your machine?
Customer: Magellan RoadMate 1340 S/N 078000124797 RF
JA: What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: nothing, the lap top installed the usb and then the error message pupped up
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: un plugged it and plugged it back and still thesame
JA: Anything else you want the gps expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I just need to find out how to update the unit that I just purchased
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: GPS
11/15/2016
Electronics Technician: Dustin, Senior Technician replied 1 year ago
Dustin, Senior Technician

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is Dustin.
I'm sorry to hear about the issue you are having, I will do my best to help you resolve it.

To get started, I need to know what type of computer you are using, a Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10 or a Mac.

If its a Mac, please check the OSX version as follows, Click the apple sign at the top left of your screen, then click about this mac. And then where it says version, send that to me as a reply.

Also, was this a used or refurbished Magellan you just received, or was it new in the box?

And whats the full name brand and model of your laptop as well.. Thank you,

Dustin S

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Windows 7 . New unit in the box

Thank you.

Alright, first things first, lets disconnect the Magellan from the PC

Then,

Please press the windows key on your keyboard, hold it down, and press R

( the windows key is two keys to the left of your space bar )

Onscreen should be a box that says Open / Run . In that box type in,

devmgmt.msc and then hit enter...

Inside the device manager we need to find the error-ed Magellan device, it could be in the usb section or in the other section or the portable devices section.. It may say unknown device or have an error symbol next to it.

When you find it, right click it and then uninstall it.

Then, lets slide and hold the power switch on the Magellan for ten seconds or until it shuts off.

Then, restart your computer. Once your computer is fully booted and idle.

1. turn on your RoadMate.
  2. Wait for your RoadMate to be completely powered on (main menu displayed).
  3. Connect your RoadMate to your computer using the supplied USB cable.
  4. Wait until the “USB connected” message appears on your RoadMate
  5. If the Microsoft found new wizard appears:

1. Select “No, not this time” and press “Next” button.
    2. Select the “Recommended” installation and press “Next” button.
    3. If the “Windows Signature” window appears, press “Continue” button.
    4. When the hardware wizard has finished, press “Finish” button.
  1. Wait up to 60 seconds.
  2. Right click on the “My Computer” icon on your Desktop and select “Explore” to open the Windows file explorer.
  3. If you see “Magellan or TFAT” drive, your RoadMate is properly connected to your computer.
  4. If you do not see a “Magellan or TFAT” drive, disconnect the receiver from the USB cable and reboot your computer.
  5. Return to step 1.

If these steps work, let me know and I can help you update the units software next. If these steps do not work, let me know what exactly happens so we can work on this issue further. Thank you,

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Dustin, Senior Technician