GPS

GPS Repair Problems? Ask a GPS Technician for Answers ASAP

GPS

I purchase a used 2015 peterbit with navi and im having

Customer Question
hello there my name is...
hello there my name is ***** ***** purchase a used 2015 peterbit with navi and im having problems with the power saving mode i turned the ignition switch on then the navi with the engine off to disable the power saving mode but dont work navi steel shuts down every 20 minutes it looks like is not getting the 12 volt signal from the ignitin switch i will appreciate your help with this problem thanks
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and has turning it on been a problem in the past?
Customer: garmin smartnav i dont know problem was there when i purchase the truck
JA: What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: nothing like i seid states on for 20 minutes then goes of
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: nothing yet i was looking for a wiring diagram in the internet to check the signal form the switch but i cant find one
JA: Anything else you want the GPS expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: nop
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: GPS
10/31/2016
Electronics Technician: Russell H., Service Tech replied 1 year ago
Russell H., Service Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Either your Garmin Nuvi has to be wired to a continuous 12 V source, direct from the battery (with at most a fuse on the line, of course), or else you have to wait a moment until you see the 'about to power down' message appear on the screen, and tell it, 'No', to not power down.

There is no 'disable power down' setting in most older Garmin devices - so simply you must either tell it to not power Off just before it is about to, or not interrupt the 12 V power to it.

But tell me your Garmin Nuvi's exact model # - if it is a recent model, newer than 2012 or so, there might be more to tell you, or a way to disable power-Off/power-save mode.

Russell H., Service Tech