Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years
5229702

Just received this device... trying to get it going.. but it

Customer Question

just received this device... trying to get it going.. but it just doesn't want to... I have plugged the device into my PC and still waiting for something to happen.. help
JA: What's the make/model of your GPS unit? How old is it?
Customer: it's a 9412T-LM
JA: What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: that's off the bow BOx
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: none
JA: Anything else you want the GPS expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: it tells me on the screen that the USB is connected
Category: GPS
Expert:  Greg A. replied 11 months ago.

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

Sorry to hear of any issue you are having with your device.

To help you with this issue, may I ask:

1) WHERE was this unit purchased?

2) Was it purchased as NEW, USED, or perhaps "Refurbished"?

3) HOW LONG has it been connected to power (or the computer)?

Thanks

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
New from hsn
Expert:  Greg A. replied 11 months ago.

OK -

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Not long
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
How long should it take
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Like hours
Expert:  Greg A. replied 11 months ago.

OK - I only ask because the FIRST thing that usually needs to be done with these devices is to connect them to POWER - and let them CHARGE UP - for AT LEAST AN HOUR or so.

Also, you will want to connect it to a HIGH POWER (1 AMP or greater) USB charger OR the Vehicle Adapter that it came with.

Does that make sense?

Expert:  Greg A. replied 11 months ago.

I mentioned HIGH POWER because MOST computer USB ports only put out about 0.5 Amps, which doubles the charge time, and I suspect you want to get using and experimenting with this device soon.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
plug it into the wall socket
Expert:  Greg A. replied 11 months ago.

If you have the optional USB-based Power adapter - then Yes.

MOST of those supply AT LEAST 1 Amp of power, but you can check by reading the TINY output specifications on the adapter.

Expert:  Greg A. replied 11 months ago.

I also noted that this particular unit has specifications that say the "battery life" of a fully charged battery is only 30 minutes.

What that means is that this unit is INTENDED to be powered and used mostly when connected IN THE VEHICLE.

Expert:  Greg A. replied 11 months ago.

If you haven't found it already, I have a link to the electronic (PDF) version of the FULL manual for you below. I will also try to see if there are any "video tutorials" you might want to look at - while the device is charging.

http://support.magellangps.com/support/assets/manuals/112-0074-001A_9400_9412_9465.pdf

NOTE: That is a PDF file, so whatever computer or device you are using to click that link will need a "viewer program" to display it (if it does not appear when you click the link). If you need such a program, you can get it at the link below - at no cost.

https://get.adobe.com/reader/

Expert:  Greg A. replied 11 months ago.

Hi again,

I see it has been a few days and I haven't seen a response on this page, so I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue OR if the issue was resolved?

I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-
(im)

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Very informative. Thank you *****
Expert:  Greg A. replied 11 months ago.

You are quite welcome.

Please let me know if you have any more questions.
If this has answered your question(s), please take a moment to rate MY service level (5-star is my goal) so that I get credit for my time helping you with this question.
You should see some "stars" (and SUBMIT button) to do that, but please let me know if you do NOT see them (you may have to REFRESH your screen) or can not use them.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-
(im)