MasterFixIt
MasterFixIt, Technician
Experience:  I have 12 years of experience servicing all GPS models.
11519491

I have a Garmin Rino 530 that I recently updated and

Customer Question

Hi Pearl,
JA: What's the make/model of your GPS unit? How old is it?
Customer: I have a Garmin Rino 530 that I recently updated and switched to Li-Ion batteries. I thought the recent update would take care of changing the battery option in the system setup menu. Before, the NiMH batteries showed a charge level, so I'm trying to get back to something like that with the Li-Ion batteries. Any suggestions? By the way I just updated the Rinos this morning, so I think I have the latest software version.
JA: What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Sorry, not sure what you mean by that?
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I downloaded the latest software revision, unplugged the batteries, reinstalled them and rebooted the Rino, it still does not show an option for anything other than NiMH or Alkaline batteries in the System Setup menu.
JA: Anything else you want the GPS expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nope
Category: GPS
Expert:  MasterFixIt replied 11 months ago.

Hi , I am Tech Michael an expert in this field and I will be assisting you today. I am a Master Technician that's dedicated to giving you the best Answer possible.

If you are new to the site, this is briefly how it works:

1. We may need some back and forth to exchange information (if needed) and there is no extra cost for replying.

2. I will give you the best possible Answer for your problem without the ability of actually being present with you.

The better you describe the problem, the quicker I can help ;-)

3. Remember to leave a Positive Rating ,it doesn't cost anything additional to rate kindly;-)

I am only credited for my time and expertise if you rate kindly.

How old is your Garmin Rino?

was everything working ok before the bettery replacement?

Also what was the reason for the battery replacement?

Sincerely

Tech Michael

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Michael,I do not know the age of the Rino 530, I recently switched to Li-Ion batteries and in doing so noticed that the system setup menu would not recognize the battery type, the Rino works fine, but I want to be able to monitor battery recharge and use. I thought a recent software update would have solved the issue, but it has not. I've detached the battery, plugged it back in and then rebooted the Rino, still the same response when I go into the system setup menu.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I just updated the Rino system software this morning to the latest version. We switched to the Li-Ion batteries to get longer life for the handheld GPS units.

Thank you for that info.

Is it stuck in that mode?

Or can you get past that?

I need a bit more info and I think if we can talk on the phone about this It would be much easier for me to get a better understanding of the exact issue going on here. I wills end you a request for that, if you accept that I will be able to call you. If not thats ok, we can try to work it out here. Please let me know how you wish to proceed?

I am an independent technician as we all are here.

Thank you

Tech Michael

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Michael,The handheld is working fine, I wanted to be able to go into the system setup menu to change the battery option to reflect that the battery is now a Li-Ion battery pack. The only option it shows is either Alkaline or NiMH. I assumed that a new software update would have taken care of the switch to allow Li-Ion batteries and to account for their different charge and status output. I'll reiterate that the handheld are working and charge fine, it is a matter of being able to monitor the charging process and to be able to view the battery charge level during use.

Hi I will see if there is maybe a different software update that will show that option.

So far I don't see that. i will ask Garmin about that option for you.

Please be patient as these are tech issues and it sometimes takes them a day or so to get back to me.

But if there is an update that will include that battery option I will send that to you;-)

In any case, I will stick with you until this is complete.

Please rate my service kindly.

Also it is the only way I am credited for my time and expertise with you.

Once you rate, I will be notified and will add your question to my priority list so you can reach me anytime until this problem is solved.

Then you can reach me by simply replying to this message anytime.

Thank you and have a great day!

Sincerely

Tech Michael