Dustin, Senior Technician
Experience:  Giving Directions to wayward GPS devices for over a decade. Worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

My Garmin 810 simply wont charge, I have tried different

Customer Question

HI, my Garmin 810 simply wont charge, I have tried different cables and done a hard reset but no luck. I was using it today and it worked perfect and it has not been dropped or wet since so I don't know what has happened.
JA: What is the exact model of your Garmin? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Garmin 810, ~18mths maybe two years
JA: What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: nothing, I finished my ride turned off. when I got home I turned it on and synced my ride (via bluetooth) then I plugged it into the charger to charge it up and nothing happened. then I pulled the plug out of the garmin and it started to power down (which is not normal)
JA: Soon. I'm trying to find the right GPS Technician for you right now. As soon as they are ready, I will let you know. What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: turned it on and off, tried a different cable, completed a master reset
JA: Anything else you want the GPS expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: nope think that is it
Category: GPS
Expert:  Dustin replied 11 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is Dustin.
I'm sorry to hear about the issue you are having, I will do my best to help you resolve it.

Expert:  Dustin replied 11 months ago.

A couple of things could have happened here.. Its possible the battery slipped loose out of its connection when you were riding.

Let me ask you this, and I need you to try this specifically and tell me exactly what happens.

If you plug it into a computer via the usb cord and press power to try to turn it on.. Exactly what happens?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
nothing at all
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I'm not in the usa, so if you call the Uk okay but if not let's just keep doing it via the PC
Expert:  Dustin replied 11 months ago.

Ok, since you say the device didnt get wet, nor was it dropped, and now it wont charge nor even turn on and a hard reset wont get it to flash anything on the screen.

Most likely the small battery cable slipped loose from the motherboard.. This can happen due to vibrations and bumps and jarring on your ride.. so lets watch this video.

https://youtu.be/i_B8cX7SLaA?t=144

You will see the exact battery cable and connector at 2 minutes 24 seconds. We need to diseemble the machine as sh own in that video and remove and reconnect that battery connector. I realize this may take you some time.

If you dont have the tiny screwdriver needed. Im not overly familiar with repair shops or stores in the UK but most electronics stores and some retail superstores should carry the tiny screwdriver sets for electronic repairs.. They usually cost less then 10$ US over here. But you will need a tiny screwdriver to get the machine open to check this cable.

If you get st uck or have any questions let me know. And I fully expect that when you have the proper tools you will want to continue this conversation or at least let me know that this worked for you!

I will watch for your replies going forward.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
okay will watch the video and see, I don't have a a small enough torx key to open the back so will need to source one of those. do you know what size it is. I have a torx t6 asd my smallest and it's too big
Expert:  Dustin replied 11 months ago.

On the Edge 500 it was a T5.. Im not one hundred percent sure on the 810 / 800.. I assume it would be the same but for good measure if you get one of the small cheap kits that go down and up a size from T3 to T5 you should be good.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
okay i'll pop along to the shop and buy a small kit and give it a try tomorrow. 9pm here so cant do anything more tonight. thanks for your help.
Expert:  Dustin replied 11 months ago.

No worries Mate. I will be working tomorrow as well. I start around 11 am my time which should 3 or 4 pm your time.

I will be ready to continue working with you then.

Dustin S

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
okay thanks,
Expert:  Dustin replied 11 months ago.

All right.. See you tomorrow!

(Its company policy I reply to every message I am sent if I am online, please do not feel you have to respond to this reply at this time.)

Dustin S