Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

I have used my 2720 for years but it now is having trouble

Customer Question

I have used my 2720 for years but it now is having trouble locating satellites, often a half hour, sometimes doesn't get them before trip is over. Can the unit be serviced?
JA: What's the make/model of your GPS unit? How old is it?
Customer: I have used my 2720 for years but it now is having trouble locating satellites, often a half hour, sometimes doesn't get them before trip is over. Can the unit be serviced?
JA: What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Garmin 2720. Must have worked perfectly for 8 - 10 years.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: None. How do I troubleshoot?
JA: Anything else you want the GPS expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No. When it does connect to satellites, works fine.. Just has times it will not connect
Category: GPS
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Your Garmin 2720 will indeed require servicing - this sort of error is owing to defects in the elaborate electronics that lock on to the faint satellite signals properly. At least at a guess.

Garmin themselves service some out-of-warranty devices that they manufacture.

They have a fixed-price servicing arrangement for those.

For the 2720, I have looked it up, and it is ... no longer serviced by Garmin.

You will have to go with non-manufacturer servicing, if it is possible at all.

Here are two such:

http://www.palmdr.com/cart/garmin-streetpilot-2820-2720-2730-2710-2610-2620-2650-p-281.html

$32.95 minimum charge, apparently.

http://satnavrepairservice.com/repair-satnav/garmin-repair/garmin-streetpilot-2720-repair/75.html

their quote seems to be, one that you have to submit a form to them in order to obtain an estimate.

If this answers your question, please rate my answer. A five-star rating would be appreciated!

If you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond.

Thanks.