I just wanted to follow up because I didn't see a reply here for my last note.
I checked on the serial number you supplied, and it looks like you have a Nuvi 40 LM - where the "LM" means that it comes with "Lifetime Map" updates.
So if your device is in "good working order" with the current maps, you should be able to update the unit software and maps - for the lifetime of the device. Let me send the BASIC requirements for updating a device (below).
How to Update Garmin Nuvi Maps.
What is needed?
1) A WORKING device with some previous version of maps installed.
2) A computer and USB cable (to be able to connect the device to the computer).
3) A microSD card (or microSD & SD adapter) of 4GB or 8GB (maximum) capacity. This MAY be optional, but is HIGHLY recommended. A link to where you can get an 8GB SD card is >>HERE<<.
4) A current copy of "Garmin Express" installed on your computer. This is Garmin's recommended program (tool) for doing any updates, including device software AND maps. If you need to get a copy of Garmin Express, use the link below.
Click Here --> http://software.garmin.com/express.html
5) A HIGH SPEED internet connection (dial up is NOT recommended).
The basic idea, if you have the above items, is to download, install, and run the Garmin Express program on your computer, then connect the device via the USB cable and "Add" the device to the program, then scan for updates. The program takes care of all the rest of the process.
I hope this helps clarify what can be done to update your current device - or any other device you might purchase in the future (process is the same).
Please let me know if you have any more questions.
If this has answered your question(s), please take a moment to rate MY service level (5-star is my goal) so that I get credit for my time helping you with this question.
You should see some "stars" (and SUBMIT button) to do that, but please let me know if you do NOT see them (you may have to scroll UP or DOWN) or can not use them.
Thanks, ***** *****