Dustin, Senior Technician
Experience:  Giving Directions to wayward GPS devices for over a decade. Worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

I bought a map service online but the system will not

Customer Question

I bought a map service online but the system will not download. I get the error message 'no maps found.
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact make and model of your machine?
Customer: I believe it is a via 1535?
JA: What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: It said to connect my device to the computer but it was already connected
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I used another computer with the same results
JA: Anything else you want the GPS expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: GPS
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is Dustin.
I'm sorry to hear about the issue you are having, I will do my best to help you resolve it.

Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

When you bought the map service, through what website or program specifically did you purchase the service?

To get started, I need to know what type of computer you are using, a Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10 or a Mac.

If its a Mac, please check the OSX version as follows, Click the apple sign at the top left of your screen, then click about this mac. And then where it says version, send that to me as a reply.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
windows 10
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I should assume that you can't solve my problem with this device, and I wasted $30.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
it was bought off the tomtom website
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

Allright, and which tomtom program do you have installed.

My drive connect, or tom tom home?

And when you connect the tomtom to the computer, can the tomtom program see the device connected?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
my drive connect. Before I bought the program yes but after the purchase sometimes
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

Ok, for the program to update the tomtom.. It has to see it.

So lets try this with the tomtom connected to the computer.. Slide and hold the power button for one minute.

Then, restart the computer.. T hen, start the tomtom program.

Will it now see the device? And if so, can we then have the tomtom home program update the devices software and maps?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I can't restart the computer, because it is the same computer ,that I am using to talk with you
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

To get back to me , either check your email. View one of the messages from justanswer that says you have received a reply or a message, open the message. Then inside it click the button that says view or reply on justanswer. That will bring you back to this page where you can scroll down and reply.

Or, go to justanswer.com, login at the top right. Then click my questions at the top right. Then, you will see our question listed there. Click the question, scroll down and reply!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The tomtom is still on the 'HW' screen
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

Are you saying the tomtom itself is getting stuck on the boot screen? And you did try pressing and holding the power button for one minute?

If thats the case, you must have a hardware or firmware failure.. About the only way we can save the device is to format it, and then reinstall the software.. This isnt always a guranteed fix, but its the only move we have left.

1. Save everything from the device, using Explorer (or Finder on Mac), include all the files (hidden as well). It is also known as a manual backup: http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13354/

2. Then format the internal storage (or memory card, depending which one you use) of your device. http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/16172/

3. Go to TT HOME, Manage my "DEVICE", delete everything from the hard drive and try the update again.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I could find the removable disk drive for this item. I am going to trash it and get a new garmin instead. Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

If you do decide to go with a garmin, make sure you get one that has the LM after the model number, that means you get lifetime free map upgrades ( and wont have to pay for map upgrades )

http://amzn.to/2duGNoX