Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years
5229702

My boat's garmin 498 sonar is working but the gps isnt

Customer Question

My boat's garmin 498 sonar is working but the gps isnt reading
JA: What is the exact model of your Garmin? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: On a 2006 boat. Garmin 498
JA: What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Nothing. It reads me at the marina where it lives but then a question mark over the boat slip and it never changes once we leave the boat slip at the marina
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Turning it off and back on
JA: Anything else you want the GPS expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: GPS
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Has your Garmin 498 a external GPS antenna (or 'GPS puck') connected to it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A puck. It s on my sea pro boat
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should i call you?
The sonar works but the gps is only readin the marina slip. Once i leave marina no tracking on the gps
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Thanks - a call is not necessary.

The first thing to check, when you get back to the boat, is:

For each connection (in this case, mostly the connection to the GPS puck antenna), undo it, then brush each side of the connector with a clean dry brush, for 20 + seconds each, then wipe down each side of the connector with a clean dry rag cloth until the metal shines, then re-connect firmly, then go on to the next connection and do the same brush-and-wipe for all connectors and connections along the entire system (with the power Off, of course.)

This is a treatment for corrosion. Which happens often and threatens the proper operation of all electronic equipment and connections in a maritime or lakegoing or riparian environment.

Let me know how it goes, please. Thanks... I hope you will see improved performance

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cant open the puck. It s sealed and openingn it will allow water in. I cant sonthat
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Actually it must be an antenna. It s a biscuit shaped white 2.t inch diameter attached permamently to my boat?
Are you talking to. Me still?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cant work with your answer
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

You don't need to open the puck.

Just undo its connection to the Garmin device, etc., as I instructed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I found the connection tonthe gps and unhooked it and rehooked it up. Still a question mark on the marina slip
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still lookig for satelite. Now what?
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Follow my directions please: undo the connection to the GPS puck, then brush each side of the connector with a clean dry brush, for 20 + seconds each, then wipe down each side of the connector with a clean dry rag cloth until the metal shines, then re-connect firmly, then go on to the next connection and do the same brush-and-wipe for all connectors and connections along the entire system (with the power Off, of course.)