Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

I have a garmin Nuvi 255W GPS. Downloaded map updates

Customer Question

I have a garmin Nuvi 255W GPS. Downloaded map updates express. got message loaded
complete. now I get message on the gps " no detailed maps found that support routing the nuvi cannot be used without them" suggestions?
Category: GPS
Expert:  Russell H. replied 11 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

How did you do the map updates please?

And, what map files did you put onto the Garmin Nuvi device?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I downloaded garmin express. I exspected map updates

Have you purchased or obtained any map update files?

Is your Garmin Nuvi new, or used - has it had maps on it before?

(I regret that I am not able to offer Live Phone Call service at this time; However, your request is still open to other Experts in this category, and one of them may pick up on it at any time.)

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
my nuvi is at least 5 years old. I bought it new needed update as info and maps were out of date
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
GPS has worked fine until I did download yesterday

Exactly what maps did you buy for the update? from what source, please?

It might be the maps were not right for your device... I hope not.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I did not buy any maps. I thought it was updating my uniy. there was no mention about buyin maps

Turn Off the Garmin Nuvi (and make sure it is disconnected from the computer too.)

Leave it that way for at least 1 hour.

Turn it On again, only after that time or longer, and see what message comes up on it, and what error message it shows, please.

(If it still shows an error message, please tell me what that error message is.)

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
OK nuvi is off and unpluged from computer.. will get back to you in 1 hour

That's OK.

(I may be offline then, it is fair to warn you - but leave a notice as to what happened, and I *will* get back to the case. Thanks!)

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
turned nuvi back on after 1 hour, signed in password ***** message that comes up is: no detailed maps found that support routing The nuvi cannot be used without them... cannot do ant thing else except turn unit off

Try going to

wrench

Map

MapInfo

and select some map file. The file might have become de-selected.

(Others have reported this problem, and some have suggested that the map file may need to be re-loaded from your backup on the computer... if you have one? but try re-selecting the map file, first... if it is still selectable.)

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have cleared my problem and my nuvi is working again... Thank you for your assistance
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
the problem was the download, downloaded to a document on the computer. I didnot know and did not see any direction that i had to download the maps from the computer into the garmin.

OK. I hope I helped steer you in the direction of the solution, and I'm glad to hear that the apparent 'breakage' of the Garmin device was no breakage at all.

If this answers your question, please rate my answer. A five-star rating would be appreciated!

Thanks.