GeekGal
GeekGal, Electronics Support Tech
Experience:  MIS degree and 15+ years experience supporting electronics of all kinds
76665483

Model Nuvi 7 Software version: 5.40 Issues: Screen

Customer Question

Model Nuvi 7
Software version: 5.40
Issues:
Screen calibration. I have gone through the screen calibration routine but still unable to accurately enter addresses from the keyboard; certain letters/numbers seem totally inaccessible.
When powering up the unit it sometimes states that my software must be updated (I have been running version 5.40 for the past two years or so).
While using the device, the screen will frequently go to a "data dump" screen. Pressing "back" will sometimes work, other times I have to power the device off/on.
The unit will turn on if powered from its battery, but when attached to the computer via USB cable, it only goes as far as the Garmin screen (does not progress to loading maps or beyond).
Question: Can the screen calibration routine be invoked if the unit is attached to a USB cable?
Category: GPS
Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is*****'m sorry that you are having this problem. I'll need to ask a few questions in order to provide the best possible help. What is the exact model of your Nuvi? For example 700, 760? Also, do you have the Garmin Express software installed on your computer? If not, pleae click this link to download and install.

http://software.garmin.com/en-US/express.html

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have Express installed. Express identifies the device only as Nuvi 7 series. I attempted to get additional data going to Settings and About, but the screen is frozen. The s/n is 17A188801 if that would help.
Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for that information. I believe that the best course of action is to reset the Nuvi to factory settings, and then attempt to update it. Here are the steps to do so.

1. Start with the device OFF and unplugged from power
  2. Touch and hold the lower right corner of the screen with an index finger or the eraser end of a pencil
  3. Continue touching and holding the lower right hand corner of the screen then power the device ON
  4. Release the power button when the device powers ON
  5. You will see a new message: "Do you really want to erase all user data?"
  6. Remove your finger from the touch screen when this message displays
  7. Touch Yes
    • If text language is not in English, this is the button on the right

The device will now reset. Follow the on-screen prompts and then place your device in an area with a clear view of the sky until it acquires satellites. Once it had done so, please connect it to the computer again and use the Garmin Express to update the device.

Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 year ago.

Please give this a try and let me know how it works for you. If this solves the problem, would you mind taking a moment to rate my service? You can give your rating by selecting the stars located on the top right of the question page. I'd really appreciate it! Without a positive rating I am not credited for my answer. If this doesn't solve the problem be sure to let me know so we can continue troubleshooting.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I got as far as the device resetting its data as as far as "select a locale". It defaulted to United States. Pressing the OK button does nothing. The device is frozen at this point.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is taking longer than I have time for. Can we pick up this session at 2:00 (pacific time)?
Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 year ago.

Absolutely. I will wait for your response.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm back (short meeting). Where do you want to go from here?
Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 year ago.

Welcome back. Do you think that were successful in your attempt to reset the device? Did you see the question "Do you really want to erase all user data/" If so, did you select yes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I saw the "erase all user data" and I pressed "yes". From there it prompted me to select a locale, the default being the United States. At this point, the screen is locked up and will not accept "OK" (although the "OK" is highlighted and changes colors when pressed); the device does not recognize any user input.
Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 year ago.

I am terribly sorry, but everything points to this actually being a hardware issue. How long have you had the Nuvi? Is it possible that it might still be under warranty?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, unless they have a 10 year warranty:-)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Since problem is not resolved, please confirm there will be no charge.
Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry but as an independent contractor, I do not have access to billing. Please contact Customer Service at***@******.*** with all billing questions. Have a great day!