Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years
5229702

Bought Garmin Nuvi 50LM two years. It's worked fine until a

Customer Question

Bought Garmin Nuvi 50LM two years. It's worked fine until a few weeks ago when it would not light up even when it was plugged in to lighter outlet. Then the word GARMIN faintly appeared but went away a few minutes later. What should I do? My wife and I are 81 yrs. old and can't afford a new GPS. Please help.
JA: What is the exact model of your Garmin? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: As I mentioned, it is about two years old, maybe three, and is model 50LM
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: TRied to get a charge in our house but we do not have the right wires.
JA: The GPS expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: No. Can I buy a used on?
Category: GPS
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

Sorry to hear of any issue you are having with your device.

To help you with this issue, may I ask:

1) Does the unit power up (even briefly) if you push and HOLD the power switch and when it is NOT connected to power?

2) WHEN was the last time the device was used SUCCESSFULLY?

3) You mentioned not having in the "right wires" to charge in the house. Does that mean that you don't have the original USB cable that should have come with the device?

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unit does NOT power up even after holding the power switch while NOT connected to energy source. Did not hear back from JUST ANSWER and have not been given a way out of this problem. Leland
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi Leland,

Thanks for coming back. I suspect you did not hear back from Just Answer because this is the first reply I have seen ON THIS PAGE since Aug 21. If you sent some responses back via email, those emails do NOT get posted here,

So may I ask again,

Thanks