GPS

GPS Repair Problems? Ask a GPS Technician for Answers ASAP

GPS

I bought a nuvi 2595 lmt and added europe maps. I don't see

Customer Question
how I can update the...
I bought a nuvi 2595 lmt and added europe maps. I don't see how I can update the map.
JA: What model of Nuvi are you using? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: 2595 lmt, - about 3-4 yrs old
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: downloading new version of express
JA: The GPS expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: I'm now using windows 10
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: GPS
8/19/2016
Electronics Technician: Greg A., Engineer replied 1 year ago
Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

Sorry I didn't see your question earlier and to hear of any issue you are having with your device.

To help you with this issue, may I ask:

1) What maps originally came with the device?

2) WHEN where the Europe maps added?

3) What "form" of Europe maps were added (memory chip or download)?

4) What maps are you trying to update?

Thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
came with Us maps
Europe maps added about 3 years ago
download
trying to update the Europe map

Hi again and thanks for that information.

OK - normally when you purchase a unit that comes with Lifetime Map updates ("LM" models), those updates apply ONLY to the ORIGINAL maps that came with the device.

Also, when you ADD a map, those maps will continue to work, but they are usually purchased as a "one-time" map, and can not really be "updated" - but newer versions of the maps will need to be purchased.

So can your device still see and use the current Europe maps that are installed, and does Garmin Express SEE the device (when connected), and perhaps offer "Maps for purchase"?

Thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Garmin Express does not show options for buying new European maps and does not show options for updating a new map.The store shows vehicles and voices, but no new map options.

OK - that's interesting.

Can you tell me approximately how long you have before taking your Europe trip?

I only ask so I will know what TIME is needed to get some new Europe maps.

Thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I must leave my home about 11:00 tomorrow.
I'm just crossing my fingers that the old map works at this point
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
11:00 am

OK - that is VERY TIGHT timing.

But you can TEST to see if the Europe maps will still work.

Is the device charged up OR is a vehicle power adapter available - so the current Europe maps can be TESTED?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How do I test it?

Let me send you a link to a video - that shows how to install and TEST a Europe map card. Don't worry about the card, just look at the TESTING parts - to see if the Europe maps are in there and can be enabled - and seen.

How to Install a Garmin Europe Map Card on the Nuvi 2500 series video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw9jszZECT8

Give that a quick look and then check for the Europe maps on your own device.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I've asked for directions to Glasgow Scotland, it appears to be responding and calculating. It showed two Glasgow UK map options each at 3500 miles distance.The map is in there.
I was hoping to update it.

OK - give me a few minutes to check my version of Garmin Express and see where that MAY be available.

NOTE: I have an older Nuvi with a Europe map card installed and will be TESTING using that.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm in Ohio and the GPS is trying to give direction to Glasgow - it's up to only 31% after about 10 minutes.

Hi again,

You may want to STOP the calculations, as it may take a while, or give you something unpredictable - especially to cross the Atlantic Ocean!

OK - I just TESTED Garmin Express with my Europe card installed, and Express ONLY offered updates for North America.

BUT, if you have registered your device and have a Garmin Account you can access, you may be able to buy the downloadable version of the Europe maps and add them to your device account. I have a link to the page where you can do that.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-the-road/automotive/previous%20models/nuvi-2595lmt/maps/on-the-road-maps/city-navigator-nt/city-navigator-europe-nt/prod6299_010-D0036-00.html

NOTE: I HIGHLY RECOMMEND you read the REQUIREMENTS tab on that page AND install at least a 4GB microSD card BEFORE attempting this.

I say this because trying to load a NEW map may DELETE the current maps you have, and if they do NOT FIT in the internal memory, you will be left with no Europe maps at all.

If the CURRENT maps are not too old, it may be fine to just go with those. After all, its better to be safe with the old maps vs. no maps at all.

Another couple of options:

If you have a "well stocked" store that carries a LOT of Garmin devices, they MAY have a current Europe card, that could be installed and enabled. You did see that part of the video about disabling maps that cover the same area - right?

If you want to try this option, I would get on the phone and call those LOCAL stores - as soon as they open in the morning.

Also, SOME Airport Gift Shops - either here in the US or where you land in Europe - will carry the Europe Map cards. It might be worth a try giving the local airport gift shops a call tomorrow morning too.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
do I have to dlete the old map before downloading a new version or will garmin express take care of that? I have a memory card inserted in the gps - memory should not be a problem
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
delete

IF you are going to be installing the maps to the MEMORY CARD, then you should NOT have to delete the old maps.

As a matter of fact, I would KEEP the old maps in the internal memory - just in case.

Is your memory card SEEN by the computer - when installed in the Nuvi?

And is there 4GB or more free space available on that card?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The download I just paid for will take 24 - 48 hours to process. Crap.
the memory card is seen by the computer and there is 27 gigs free on this 32 gig card
I didn't know I would be asked where to download the europe map

24-48 hours?!?! Yikes, that is WAY too long.

Do you have HIGH SPEED internet, and if so, HOW FAST?

NOTE: the download times DO CHANGE as they go along.

Sorry - I missed the part about "to process" (the order).

That's till not good!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
when I click on my account at Garmin I see the europe map product I bought
when I click on the add to device button I get a message that Chrome is not supported
when I go to Microsoft Edge, the security settings disallowed any downloads
dead end
so far
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't know that the product has even been completely purchased

I usually use Firefox as my browser - without any issues.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't have firefox downloaded.
I'm ready to try to cancel my order with Garmin in the morning
I'm ready to risk using my 3 year old Europe map
You've been personable and friendly, but your advice has not been helpful
How do I get a refund? I also truly thought $5 was the only fee.

Hi again,

Best bet for canceling the order would be to contact Garmin Support - as soon as the open in the morning.

Monday–Thursday: 8 AM–6 PM, Friday 8 AM–5 PM Central Time (closed holidays)

U.S.:(###) ###-####/strong>

U.S. toll-free: 1-***-***-****

Canada: 1-***-***-****

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How do I get a refund from my.justanswer.com, while you've been friendly, I did not get my map updated or downloaded. I am not 100% satisfied.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am no further along than when I started. I am not 100% satisfied. How do I get a refund from my.justanswer.com ?

RE: "You've been personable and friendly, but your advice has not been helpful"

Really? You did not at least find out that trying to do a large update within approximately 12 hours of a planned trip is a bit tight - timing wise?

In any case, you should be able to manage any aspect of your account here by using the "My Account" link on your side of the system. There should even be a help or contact us link within that page.

Travel Safe, Greg A.

Greg A.
Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer