GPS

GPS Repair Problems? Ask a GPS Technician for Answers ASAP

GPS

After I updated the map on my Magellan roadmate a while back

Customer Question
it stopped showing it as...
after I updated the map on my Magellan roadmate a while back it stopped showing it as a navigation device and now it shows up as a HDD entry. How can I get it to do a hard reset to the original files?
JA: How long has this been going on?
Customer: A few months. I could never get it to power on. But tonight I finally could but it does not show up as my tomtom device does.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I don't know what to do at all. It will work in battery mode though it only has 2 bars and won't charge any further but when I connect it to my pc all I get is a prompt to disconnect it to update it but when I try that it just does the whole thing all over again.
JA: Well, we require $5.
Customer: That's fine
JA: The GPS expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: Not really just that I am not familiar with troubleshooting so he has to be pretty detailed
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: GPS
8/10/2016
Electronics Technician: GeekGal, Electronics Support Tech replied 1 year ago
GeekGal
GeekGal, Electronics Support Tech

Hi there! My name is***** am a computer professional with over 15 years of experience with both Mac and Windows computers, phones, tablets, and printers and other electronic devices. It would be my pleasure to assist you with this.

After installing new software or map updates to your Magellan GPS, you'll need to reset the device. A reset ensures that you will be able to access the updated data correctly and without system errors. Resetting can also be useful as a basic troubleshooting step if the device is malfunctioning. Your Magellan GPS has a hardware reset button that you can easily access. If you will tell me the exact model of your Magellan Roadmate I can where to look for the reset button, if you have trouble finding it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
hold on a second

Sure. I'll be standing by until the problem is resolved.

Some Magellan Roadmates have a Reset pin hole on the bottom or on either side of the unit. If yours does, please take a pin or an end of a paperclip and insert it into the hole and push in until you feel it pop slightly, then hold it for 10 seconds. Your unit will reset itself.

Please give this a try and let me know how it works for you. If this solves the problem, would you mind taking a moment to rate my service? I'd really appreciate it! Without a rating I am not credited for my answer. If this doesn't solve the problem be sure to let me know so we can continue troubleshooting.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't see anything except the power on off switch. It says the model number is *****

Thank you for that information. Please give me just a moment to locate the specs on that particular model.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
hardware version is 2031 and core version is 0.57 software version is 4.92

Thank you. Let's try this.

If you want to turn the receiver completely off, slide the power switch to the left and hold for 3 seconds or more. (Turning the receiver completely off and then back on [Power Reset] can sometimes solve any problems encountered while using the receiver.)

Here's a link to the user manual for this product. It's in pdf format. You can save it to your computer for later viewing , or you can print it out, but it's 42 pages. Click the link below then click on the download button to access the file.

http://support.magellangps.com/support/index.php?_m=downloads&_a=viewdownload&downloaditemid=101

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
As soon as I connect it to the usb on my windows pc it says it doesn't recognize the usb device and it doesn't have it's drivers installed.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it says it needs a full charge to continue but it won't charge past 2 bars at all.

When you got your map update did you use the Smart GPS Eco tool? If not, or even if you did, let's go there now.

start by unplugging the unit, and powering it completely off by sliding the power switch to the left and holding until theunit powers off, then follow the instructions below.

• Go to the website www.SmartGPSEco.com
  • Create a new account or Login. If you already created an account on www.magellangps.com, you can login with that same username and password.
  • Turn on and plug in your unit
  • Follow the instructions to keep your device up-to-date
  1. Please try this and let me know the results.

start by unplugging the unit, and powering it completely off by sliding the power switch to the left and holding until the unit powers off, then follow the instructions below.

• Go to the website www.SmartGPSEco.com
  • Turn on and plug in your unit

Please try this and let me know the results.

Here are a couple of other pieces of information that maybe helpful:

1. The internal battery can be charged using the supplied vehicle power adapter. Full battery charge takes 4 - 6 hours. The unit can be powered on or off while charging.
  2. To get your PC to recognize your Magellan RoadMate take the following steps:
  3. Turn on your RoadMate.
  4. Wait for your RoadMate to be completely powered on (main menu displayed).
  5. Connect your RoadMate to your computer using the supplied USB cable.
  6. Wait until the “USB connected” message appears on your RoadMate
  7. If the Microsoft found new wizard appears:Select “No, not this time” and press “Next” button.
  8. Select the “Recommended” installation and press “Next” button.If the “Windows Signature” window appears, press “Continue” button.
  9. When the hardware wizard has finished, press “Finish” button.
  10. Wait up to 60 seconds.Right click on the “My Computer” icon on your Desktop and select “Explore” to open the Windows file explorer.If
  11. you see “Magellan or TFAT” drive, your RoadMate is properly connected to your computer.
  12. If you do not see a “Magellan or TFAT” drive, disconnect the receiver from the USB cable and reboot your computer.Return to step 1.If the Windows file explorer does not show the a “Magellan or TFAT “ drive, your computer may not meet the minimum system requirements

If all else fails, let's try again to reset it:

Depending on the power switch your unit was designed with follow the instructions below:

a)Slide Switch If your unit has a Slide power switch then slide and hold the power switch in the off position for more than 8 seconds.

b)Push Down Power Button If your unit has a Push Down Power Button for a Reset pin hole on the bottom or on either side of the unit. Take a pin or an end of a paperclip and insert it into the hole and push in until you feel it pop slightly, hold it for 10 seconds. Your unit will reset itself.

c)Reset Power Switch If your unit has a Reset Power Switch then it will have a three position power switch (Reset, Off, On), if this is the case slide the switch to the reset position and hold it for 10 seconds to perform the reset.

Please keep me posted as to your progress. Thank you!

I see a potential issue based on the second screen shot. There is very little free space on the unit. I understand about the power switch. There were three options depending upon the type you have. For yours, you should slide and hold the power switch in the off position for more than 8 seconds.

Have you followed all of the instructions in my previous post? If not, please do so. Let's start by unplugging the unit from the unit, and powering it completely off by sliding the power switch to the left and holding until the unit powers off.

When you've done that let me know.

Please make sure that you hold it for a FULL 8 seconds.

GeekGal
GeekGal
GeekGal, Electronics Support Tech