GPS

GPS Repair Problems? Ask a GPS Technician for Answers ASAP

GPS

It displays no map data when try to type in destination, i

Customer Question
it displays no map data...
it displays no map data when try to type in destination
JA: How long has this been going on?
Customer: i just got the gps used so all day
JA: Just to clarify, what's the brand and model of the GPS?
Customer: nuvi 1450
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: not sure what to do
JA: The GPS expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: nope
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: GPS
8/6/2016
Electronics Technician: Greg A., Engineer replied 1 year ago
Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer

Hello & Welcome,

Sorry to hear of any issue you are having with your device.

To help you with this issue, may I ask:

1) Is this a NEW or USED device?

2) If USED, where did the device come from?

3) Have you looked at the VIEW MAP screen yet - WITHOUT trying to find a destination? If so, do you see the DETAILED LOCAL streets, or just the MAJOR roads - if you zoom out quite a bit?

Thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Used from a pawn shop and just main hwys

OK - that could mean that the maps for your area are not installed.

Can you find a serial number printed on the back of the unit - right next to a bar code or QR code - so I can tell if the device came with lifetime map updates?

We will also want to check the Map Info screen - to see what maps ARE installed - if any.

Thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
23F256459 maps screen info is empty

OK - I looked that up and found it to be a Nuvi 1450LMT.

The LMT at the end mean "Lifetime Map" and "Traffic" updates - so that is good.

So may I ask:

1) did you get a USB cable with the device - to be able to connect it to your computer?

2) did you get a vehicle power adapter that has a "bulge" between the the adapter and where you plug into the device (that is a "traffic receiver" cable/adapter)?

3) Is there a tiny microSD card installed in the edge of the device (tiny slot)?

Thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No SD card and not a regular charger and a usb charger not for gps but it works

OK - if you don't have the "traffic receiver" vehicle adapter, that feature would not work. But I assume you got a "good deal", so hopefully that is not an issue for you.

So to get the maps for the device, here is what I would recommend, and what is needed.

How to Update Garmin Nuvi Maps.
===============================
What is needed?

1) A WORKING device with some previous version of maps installed.

It sounds like the device IS working, and you have only the "base maps" installed, so that should be good.
2) A computer and USB cable (to be able to connect the device to the computer). I assume you have a computer you can connect to, and can get a USB cable (if needed) that allows you to attach the device to the computer.
3) A microSD card (or microSD & SD adapter) of 4GB or 8GB (maximum) capacity. This MAY be optional, but is HIGHLY recommended. A link to where you can get an 8GB SD card is listed below.

Examples of 8GB microSD cards listed on Amazon.

NOTE: These are the results of a "search" on Amazon. Please select a GOOD quality card, as you will need this to work for some time (don't "go cheap" on the card that will be holding your data).
http://amzn.to/1O4tS7k

4) A current copy of "Garmin Express" installed on your computer. This is Garmin's recommended program (tool) for doing any updates, including device software AND maps. If you need to get a copy of Garmin Express, use the link below.
Click Here --> http://software.garmin.com/express.html
5) A HIGH SPEED internet connection (dial up is NOT recommended).

So do you have or can get all or most of those items?

OK - if you can get that stuff, the process is pretty simple.

But it is recommended that you FULLY charge the device - so that there are no problems loading the map data onto the device when that happens.

But otherwise you can start now, but getting Garmin Express on your computer, and running it - to make sure it installs and runs on the computer. NOTE: There is a video on that download page I sent (above), that shows you how to get started.

Next, connect the device to the computer via the USB cable, ADD it to the Garmin Express program, and then let Garmin Express look for any updates that may be available.

NOTE: The recommendation for a memory card is because the internal memory may be limited, so only a "region" of maps may install if do not have the SD card installed.

Does that make sense so far?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I think it is doin a map n softwareally update

Typically the Garmin Express program updates the unit software FIRST, then moves on to the maps.

As shown in the video on the Garmin Express download page (you did see that video - correct), if there is not enough memory to hold ALL the original maps, the program SHOULD WARN/ADVISE you to get a memory card, but will then install a REGION of maps for the device to use.

NOTE: If it is installing maps or other software, I advise to always WAIT an extra 30-60 seconds AFTER the program says it is OK to removed the device from the cable. This is because some computers "cache" data that has NOT been written to the device yet.

If the device IS updating now, please let me know what you are seeing on the screen at this time.

Thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I did not see video
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Where do I get the updated lifetime maps from

When you install and run Garmin Express on your computer, and then connect the device, that program will "see" the device and should connect you to the Garmin servers (computers) that hold the maps.

Here is a direct link to the video you should watch - on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhW5hHb_uH4

Please take a look so that you know what to expect.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok that let's me see and type in destination now

Please CHECK the map info screen FIRST - to see if the maps are in there.

Hi again,

I see that about an hour has gone by, and wanted to know if the maps got loaded onto the device - so that it will work properly now.

Please let me know if that worked for you or if you have any more questions.

If this has answered your question(s), please take a moment to rate MY service level (Excellent is my goal) so that I get credit for my time helping you with this question.
You should see some "stars" to do that, but please let me know if you do NOT see them (you may have to scroll UP or DOWN) or can not use them.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-
(im)

Hi again,

I see it has been a few days and I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue or if the issue was resolved?

I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-
(im)

Greg A.
Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer