GPS

GPS Repair Problems? Ask a GPS Technician for Answers ASAP

GPS

I purchased the City Navigator Lower 49 maps and can't get

Customer Question
it installed. Error message...
I purchased the City Navigator Lower 49 maps and can't get it installed. Error message says "Edge won't accept this plug in" Another error message says I don't have enough memory; need to purchase a memory card. However my device doesn't appear to accommodate a memory card
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact make and model of your machine?
Customer: novi 50 LM
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I tried adding My Garmin to my Trusted Sites under Internet options per one of the suggestions
JA: The GPS expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: Yes, when traveling this summer in Kentucky, the device would not let me access Shelbyville, Kentucky nor Lexington Kentucky. In fact, it seemed to only recognize Louisville,Kentucky so I thought I needed to buy additional maps which is why I purchased the City Navigator
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the GPS Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: GPS
7/9/2016
Electronics Technician: Russell H., Service Tech replied 1 year ago
Russell H., Service Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Given that you have a Garmin Nuvi, and difficulty dealing with it from a computer, try this:

When dealing with an update for your Garmin device, it is best to simply download, install, and use Garmin Express.

Go to

http://software.garmin.com/en-GB/express.html

and (if you have a Windows PC) click on the big blue Download button at center bottom of the page. (If you have an Apple, click on the nearby Download for Mac link.) And download Garmin Express' installer to your computer, save it, then double-click upon it to install Garmin Express.

Then start the program, Garmin Express. Then connect your Garmin device. Then use Garmin Express to update your device.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I already have Garmin Express and was able to use that site to update my maps yesterday. However, despite my updating, when I was still unable to access cities in the state of Kentucky, I purchased the City Navigator package thinking that would help. I believe the issue lies with not enough memory on my Garmin, but unfortunately I don't see how buying additional memory would help since it comes in the form of a memory card and there's no place to insert a memory card on my device.

OK. Then you may have to access and remove some unused, or less-needed, map files from your device. That would free up memory enough for new map files.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How do I remove map files???
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Plus that still doesn't answer the question of why doesn't this Garmin recognize cities in Kentucky despite me having purchased the Lower 49 States package?

Were the map files installed on the device, for Kentucky?

How does the lack of recognition of Kentucky cities act? is it a matter of their not being found when a Search is done for the city name?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Since Kentucky is a state located in the "lower 49 states", it should have installed automatically. After further checking just now, I found that none of the states East of Kentucky are loaded on the system. UGH!! I had never traveled that far east so didn't have need to try it until just today during my testing. SO my priority question now is, how do I clear out some space by removing older maps?

You may need a computer, to hook it up to a computer, to edit out old maps. I'm looking that up now...

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The Garmin is connected to my computer which is how I was able to update the map yesterday.

Connect the Nuvi to your computer with its USB cable.

Go to Start and to Computer.

Then go into the Map folder on the Garmin device as shown there among the other storage devices.

Right-click on the installed map file you wish to remove, and click Delete.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Not finding a "Map folder". I see some .xml files and others unless the Map folder is buried within some of these other files.

OK. What folders *are* on the Garmin device, by name, please?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Garmin
GPX
Help
Keyboards
POI
Text
Vehicle
Voice
Autorun

Go into the Garmin folder.

What folders are there?

(The next choice to look into, would be the GPX folder, I think.)

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Within that folder it shows 3 files; Archive, Current GPX and Position GPX. When I open Archive it shows several GPX files dating back to 2014 - (28 GPX thru 42 GPX) but don't look very big i.e. 1080 KB

Look in GPX folder next, then.

Or better, search for a file name

gmap

in the whole Garmin device.

right-clicking upon one of those gmap files and selecting Open File Location should get you into the

.system

folder, where you can see and remove map files. That's what one account says.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I did open the GPX folder. Nothing in that folder that specifically says "Map Folder" Only GPX files, unless that's code for Map Folder. I could start deleting the 2014 GPX files but since I wasn't sure what a GPX file was, I was a bit reluctant. I'm almost of a mind set to take the device into Best Buy or Radio Shack for their help since they are Garmin resellers. It appears that I paid $44 for the Just Answer service and while I appreciate all your attempts to help, my frustration level is climbing. I will try the gmap search, but after that I'll call it quits and will then ask how I go about canceling my Just Answer subscription. Hopefully the $44 isn't a monthly fee that's ongoing that would only add to my frustration.

To repeat my last 2 postings:

Or better, go to the Garmin folder, and then search for a file name

gmap

in the whole Garmin device.

Right-clicking upon one of those gmap files and selecting Open File Location should get you into the

.system

I have no power over the charges for this case. To inquire or request about them, contact

*****@******.***

please. Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I searched and found a gmap folder. It shows a 48.6 MB file in 2011 and a 1.1 GB file on 7/8/2016 which is most likely the updated map file I did yesterday. Should I delete the 48.6 MB file from 2011.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I tried deleting the file from 2011, but it appears to be a system file and wouldn't let me delete. I thank you for your time, but I will be closing my chat with you. I've spent my Saturday morning on this and I'd like to enjoy the weekend. I just won't use my Garmin to get me there.

OK. Sorry it didn't turn out better.

Russell H., Service Tech