Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years
5229702

Can't get any spoken directions feom my GPS. Tried reset but

Customer Question

Can't get any spoken directions feom my GPS.
Tried reset but that did not correct the problem.
Help
Category: GPS
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

Sorry to hear of any issue you are having with your device.

To help you with this issue, may I ask:

1) The FULL Make & Model Number of the device you are working with?

2) The AGE of the device?

3) WHEN this issue first began?

4) Do you hear ANY SOUND from the device at all?

Thanks

Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

I see that you may have opened a NEW question (vs. replying back here).

If you can, please try to REPLY on this thread, so we can perhaps find out what is happening with your device.

Thanks

(im)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Magellan Road Mate 6230-LM, 5" GPS Navigator & integrated Dashcam, S/N 0876000386389
Straight out of the box. Unused, yet.
Never got any sound from the GPS.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again and thanks for that information.

Since this is a "new" device, may I ask if you have found and set ANY of the volume controls?

And have you found and set the Navigation Preferences screen, so that "Enable Spoken Street Names" or "Enable Landmark Guidance" are "checked" (turned on)?

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All that checked. apparentlly default settings.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

OK - did you see one of the screen for setting "Button Sounds" to ON or OFF?

That is so that when you touch any button - such as to move between screen - you will hear (or not) a sound - for feedback that you have successfully touched a button.

To see that setting, access the MAIN menu.

Tap the Settings icon.

Tap Sound

Tap the check box for button sounds played, and make sure the "check" appears.

Also, it would be a good idea to "toggle" some of these settings - to see if switching the OFF and ON again does the trick.

Please let me know what you see and hear when trying to change the "Button Sounds".

Thanks

Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Also, if you can NOT get the button sounds to play, please let me know WHEN and WHERE this device was purchased AND if it was purchased as "new" (complete package) or as "used" or "refurbished".

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Button sounds box checked. I tapped it off and back on, Still no sound
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

OK - please let me know WHEN and WHERE this device was purchased AND if it was purchased as "new" (complete package) or as "used" or "refurbished".

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Purchased new, in sealed box at Best Buy, in Jeffersonville, IN within the past two weeks. Package appeared unopened
S/N 0876000386389. Don't remember exact date. Will know when credit card bill arrives.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

OK - is that Best Buy store LOCAL to you?

I only ask because you MAY have received a faulty unit, and return to the store for a working unit would be the best next step.

If this is NOT a local store, and you have a closer Best Buy in your area, that local store MAY exchange a new working unit for you, but I sometimes have had trouble doing that - especially if I don't have the original receipt with me or do not visit the local store very often.

I also have ONE other thing to TEST - which is SETTING and adjusting the volume (and perhaps MUTE) from the MAP screen.

While on the MAP screen, you should see a SPEAKER icon. Tap that icon and additional controls should appear on EACH SIDE of the screen.

the RIGHT side should show the speaker in the middle, with + and - buttons ABOVE and BELOW the speaker. Tap the + and - buttons to see if the level gauge moves up and down, and tap the SPEAKER in the middle to see if the sound MUTES or UNMUTES when you tap it.

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Must move to the car. Battery needs a charge. wait, out pls.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Let me know when you can try that last test.

I should be here once that is done.

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm back.Did all you said to do. Found only one screen (sound) on which to adjust volume & one to adjust language.
Manipulated languages with no result. Sound volume ( a single up/down bar). raised & lowered that with no detectable result.Go to store? Faulty produce costs $35?
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

I'm not sure I understand - that you only found one screen to adjust the sound.

Did you NOT find a Speaker icon on the MAP screen? I will attach an image or two of what you may have seen on that screen, but that will take a few moments to capture and send.

Also, if the device was NEW, there should be no cost to exchange the unit for a new (working) device at Best Buy. I would recommend TESTING before leaving the store though.

Back soon.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No speaker icon on maps.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

OK - here are the steps (with screen shots) from the manual. It looks like you MAY need an active route (based on the arrows showing), but I'm not 100% sure, as I don't have one of these particular units with me here.

NOTE: You may have to click the file name to see the image I have attached.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Image came in fine. Did a road test. Enroute, manipulating screens & buttons randomly, the screen you sent
abruptly popped up. Never saw it before. Anyway, got some (not much) sound. I'm not discarding my 16-year old
Sony GPS, even though its maps cannot be updated. It is ignorant of some addresses and calls for a U-turn in
the middle of a local interstate highway. No more Magellan products of any sort for me. Bye
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Very good. It sounds like you at least have SOME sound now.

The rest of the process is to adjust the levels as best you can. I also noticed that this unit has a "Smart Volume" setting - that make the sound LOUDER as you are moving faster - to compensate for any road noise.

If you don't like the Magellan systems, you MAY want to consider another brand - such as a Garmin. I actually prefer Garmin devices - as that is what I "grew up" with.

Please let me know if you have any more questions.

If this has answered your question(s), please take a moment to rate MY service level (Excellent is my goal) so that I get credit for helping you with this question.
You should see some "stars" to do that, but please let me know if you do NOT see them (you may have to scroll UP or DOWN) or can not use them.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-
(im)

Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

I see it has been a few days and I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue or if the issue was resolved?

I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-
(im)