Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years
5229702

I have a Magellan Road Mate. It suddenly developed

Customer Question

I have a Magellan Road Mate. It suddenly developed Alzheimers and cantb connect to the satelite so it cant figure out it's position. Can it be repaired or must I buy another one. It is about 5 years old.
Category: GPS
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

Sorry I didn't see your question earlier and to hear of any issue you are having with your device.

To help you with this issue, may I ask:

1) The FULL Model Number of the device you are working with?

2) WHEN this issue first began?

3) Have you EVER run the device when NOT connected in a vehicle, and if so, how long did the device operate in that mode?

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
serial number is ***** Not sure what model number. Therev is a p/n(###) ###-####002 4110 Model number is ***** on the unit and I don't have the box anymore.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again and thanks for that information.

Typically the Model NUMBER will be printed on the label right after the word "RoadMate" ... and the models are about 4 digits long.

Also, what about questions 2 & 3 above?

And one more thing: Does this unit have "lifetime map updates" for it?

I only ask because five years ago, most units did NOT come with lifetime map updates.

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It started about a week ago. I don't know why. I tried to reset it but it just doesn't work anymore. I reset the gpos position while in front of my house and it locked on that location so if I have it in the car at another location, it still shows me the location in front of my house as its location
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

OK - I'm concerned about the internal battery - which could be the cause of this issue (GPS receiver starts to fail when the battery gets old and wears out).

IF that is the case and you do NOT have lifetime map updates, it may be best to purchase a NEW unit - that does have lifetime map updates - included in the purchase price.

Do you like the roadmate series of devices and want to stick with the Magellan brand? If so, I can send you some references of where you can get one of these units at a good price.

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think it did have lifetime updates but I re3ally don't remember the date that I bought it. I like the unit, at least when it is working. Not so much now.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

OK - IF it does have lifetime maps AND we can find the exact model number, we MAY be able to have the battery replaced at a relatively low cost (either on your own or at a "battery store"), and restore proper operation. Approximate cost would be $30-$50 - depending on which way you go.

The alternative would be a NEW unit, which I have a few listings from Amazon linked below. You should be able to see the cost of each unit in the listings.

Click here --> http://amzn.to/1sWCoyS

Please let me know what you think would be the appropriate choice for you, or if you would like to look around the label a bit more to see if you can find the model NUMBER.

Thanks, ***** *****

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The model number may be 4110. That is the number after the p/n number. Otherwise there is no model number on the label on the underside of the unit.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

OK - let me check on that number, but it does NOT sound familiar for the roadmate series.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just noticed that the time is off by about 6 minutes also
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Not finding the 4110 model anywhere.

There is a 4000 series in the Maestro series.

And if the TIME is off in the unit, that is another indicator that the GPS receiver is NOT working well - and can not "sync" on the time stamps from the GPS signals.

Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Did you check the Amazon listing link I sent - to see what is currently available there? Here is the link again, if you want to check.

Click here --> http://amzn.to/1sWCoyS

Also, you MAY be able to find similar models LOCALLY - if you need a working unit in a hurry.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think that the booklet that came with it is in the car. I am going to look for it. Back in a minute. The booklet has 5 numbers on it. They are 2035, 2036, 2045, 3045 and 50945 and there is a coupon for one free map update in the booklet but the map isn't the problem, it can't find the satellite is the problem
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

OK - those look like good numbers for the models - and about the right age too.

And getting a coupon back five years ago for a ONE TIME map update sounds about right.

NOTE: My only concern about map updates would be the COST - IF you can still get updates for your unit. This is because the cost of a single update for an older unit can be up to about 90% the cost of a NEW replacement unit - that does come with "free" lifetime updates.

Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

By the way, I have attached a couple of images showing where you MAY be able to find the model numbers on these devices.

Feel free to take a look and see if anything similar exists on your device.

Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

I just wanted to check to see if you need any more information about this issue.

Summary of what we have discussed and options:

1) The internal battery may be "worn out", and is effecting the device's ability to receive satellite signals - making the device "unstable" at best.

2) Possible solutions:

2a) - find exact model number and either replace battery yourself OR

2b) - have the battery replaced at a local "battery store" that can usually do the work for you, and supply the battery.

2c) Decide if you want to replace the unit with a NEW one, either purchased online OR locally (depending on how quickly you need a working device).

Also, I now have a working phone line available and can call you about this issue - if that is what you would like to do. Just let me know here that you DO want the call.

Please let me know.

Thanks, ***** *****

Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

I see it has been a few days and I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue or if the issue was resolved?

I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-
(im)