GPS

GPS Repair Problems? Ask a GPS Technician for Answers ASAP

GPS

Have a Lowrance Elite-7 HDI that will not power up. Have

Customer Question
12.2 volts between pins 7...
Have a Lowrance Elite-7 HDI that will not power up. Have 12.2 volts between pins 7 & 8
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The GPS Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best. Is there anything else the GPS Technician should be aware of?
Customer: Have a 2nd unit someone loaned me to check my problem. It will not power up either.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the GPS Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: GPS
5/26/2016
Electronics Technician: Russell H., Service Tech replied 1 year ago
Russell H., Service Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I think the first thing to try is, remove any SD card or other memory card that might be in the device's slot, and then try powering the device On again normally.

If that produces no response, disconnect the power (or, the + battery lead) for 10 minutes +, then try the device again.

And lastly, if that still gets nothing to happen, then try holding down Power, +, and - all three at once for at least 10 seconds continuously.

Then try pressing and holding the Zoom + and - buttons simultaneously, then press and release the Power button, and continue holding the Zoom + and - buttons for 30 more seconds.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
After troubleshooting more I found that pin 7 ( on power cable ) which should be the hot feeding from fuse panel, grounded via a black wire coming from power cord. Also found pin 8 which should be the ground hot, and the wire feeding it red at fuse panel. I bought boat used and never tried this till after I owned it. Is it possible for manufacturing to have used red as ground in this application? I recently bought an LED fog/spot light that was also wired black hot / red ground.

As for wiring color-coding standard... it all depends upon who is actually doing those standards, and whether they care or not.

It is quite possible for hot to be color-coded black, as misleading and dangerous as that can be. Yes, I have heard of it, even in household wiring... a place where such sloppiness is dangerous.

Does the Lowrance power up now? that's the proof of the quality of the wiring feeding it ultimately.

Russell H., Service Tech