Pete, Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years experience installing and repairing electronics.
30970729

Garmin Nuvi 1450 LMT freezes on Screen showing "GARMIN". This

Customer Question

Garmin Nuvi 1450 LMT freezes on Screen showing "GARMIN".
This hapopened after update.
Please adivice
Category: GPS
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Hello Anil,If your Garmin Nuvi 1450LMT is frozen on the Garmin screen, please try resetting it:1. Start with the device turned off.2. Touch and hold the lower right corner of the screen with your finger.3. With the corner being held, press and release the power button. Don't let go of the corner.4. When the device powers on, you should see a message asking if you want to erase all user data. Now you can let go of the corner... then touch "yes."Next, place the device outside with its rear side facing the sky. Leave it alone for 20 minutes so it can reacquire the satellites.Let me know if that works for you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
#JUX-989-58736]: Account # ***** and Order ID# *****
1. I tried the suggested reset steps several times before contacting Just Answer
2. Only once did I reach the screen asking if I wished to delete. At that time I selected "No". I was able to get to maps etc
3. When I powered down and restarted it got stuck again on the "Garmin" logo screen.
4. All this happened after I tried to update the maps.
5. After receiving your reponse, I again tried several times, but am stuck on the "Garmin" logo screen. I am not able to go to step 4 in your answer.
6. Please advice.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
It may take several attempts to reach that step - it can be tricky to get the timing right.Once you reach it, select Yes (you need to clear out the corrupted data to get it booting normally again).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you give me more info on the right timing.
I have tried before and continuing to try again and again, without luck.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
There isn't really much more information I can give on how to perform it - it is a basic process, but it requires a certain knack - can you get someone else to try it for you, they may use a slightly different technique?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, I will try to have someone else try it.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Let me know how it goes!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had my wife try it a few times, without luck.
Is there any other alternative solution?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
If that doesn't work then the only other solution is to return it to Garmin to have them reset it for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I try to reset or sometimes when I am shutting it down to try reset again, there is a sound, something like "phut". Does this indicate anything?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also sometimes I see some light on the screen as if emanating from the point where I am holding the right bottom of the screen. Does this indicate anything?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
It doesn't indicate anything in particular, just that the booting process has been interrupted. It is attempting to boot up normally, but cannot.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. I am going to try resetting a few more times today and tomorrow and see what happens, and then decide what to do next.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know if you need additional information at all and I'll be happy to help.Pete.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried resetting again today. No luck.
The problem with my Garmin Nuvi 1450 is not yet resolved.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
If the reset is not working for you then the only other option is to return it to Garmin to have them reset it for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Rerturning to Garmin to reset is not a viable option. When I checked with Garmin, they wanted more than what I had bought the new unit for originally. It appears Garmin's policy is to charge 50% of the current models list price.
Is there any other option?
Alternatively, is there a no cost way to get the expertise from a second expert?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
The other experts are reviewing this question page as part of peer review, and will add any additional input if they have further advice for you.Your options are somewhat limited, since the cost of getting this repaired is likely to be close to the cost of a similar replacement model - the amount of labor involved is what makes Garmin's repair service so costly, and most users will opt to buy a replacement device which comes with the latest maps and a full warranty, rather than invest in repairing an older faulty device.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Hi, just checking in on your question, do you need any further assistance?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not yet heard from the other experts who were reviewing this question page as part of peer review.
Yes, I still need assistance to resolve the issue with my Garmin Nuvi 1450
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Since none of the reviewing experts have added any further information, I would assume they have no further information to add.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Account # ***** and Order ID# ***** -
The problem with my Garmin Nuvi is not yet resolved.
Is there any other option or is there no solution?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
There appears to be no other solution other than to return it to Garmin to have them reset it for you, unless you have their specialist equipment available.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.
Looks like I need to find another solution