GPS

GPS Repair Problems? Ask a GPS Technician for Answers ASAP

GPS

I have a Nuvi 2797LMT. I have lost the cable that plugs in

Customer Question
to the computer to charge...
I have a Nuvi 2797LMT. I have lost the cable that plugs in to the computer to charge and update the unit. I searched the web for a replacement and bought one from DSN marketing. The website said it was compatible with the 2797LMT but it does not work. the unit says " the attached power cable can not charge the device" How can I get the correct cable ?
Thanks for your help.
D Layman.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: GPS
4/23/2016
Electronics Technician: Russell H., Service Tech replied 1 year ago
Russell H., Service Tech
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. It could be that one wire in the cable (which has 4 wires, given it is a standard USB cable) is broken and the cable is defective.But it could also be, that the USB connection on either end, and in either connector (cable's, computer's, Garmin Nuvi's) is dirty enough to obstruct charging.So take a clean dry used toothbrush, and scrub inside all the jacks, Garmin, cable-ends (both) and the computer's - but esp. the Garmin's - and scrub for at least 30 seconds each. See if that (and/or a different USB port on the computer) can make it work. If this answers your question completely, please rate my answer. Thanks.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK Trying the cleaning
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The new cable will work with my Nuvi 2559 but not the 2797. Should the same cable work with both of them ? If so is the 2797 defective and if so where can I get it fixed. I live in Victoria BC Canada
A USB cable that works with one should work with the other.Clean the 2797's port though. As for fixing the 2797... how old is it? measured from date of original purchase.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It is around one year old. Could I try a spray solvent terminal cleaner ? I have had good results on electronics but never tried it on a computer.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The 12 volt car plug in cable works just fine. The new cable was a bit reluctant to work with the 2559 but a little wiggle fixed that. I have a phone number for Garmin support but they are only available at certain times and often have long phone wait times. Do you know of another source of cables, other than Amazon, that might be better quality ? The cables are not expensive.
I don't think terminal cleaner would do any good. Don't try it, it might get into the interior of the device and cause damage. If it is about a year old, is it less than a year from purchase date, or over a year? this is vital: the warranty coverage expires at the one-year point. If it is even one day less, put in a warranty claim to Garmin promptly, I advise. Trywww.cablestogo.comthey're good enough. Does the 2797 work with the 12 V. car plugin?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yes the 2797 works perfectly in the car. I do not remember exactly when I bought it. I will try to find out.
Then the 2797 is not defective, and whether it is within warranty or not is a point of no importance. I'd say the cable was defective. Cheap cables (read: costing less than about 8 dollars) often are that second-rate. Return the cable for a refund or an exchange. And/or get a better-quality one. It may not have to be a cable for Garmin specifically, if the plug on your 2797 is a standard mini-USB plug like this one, in the picture on the right:https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/ad/Mini_usb_AB.jpg/198px-Mini_usb_AB.jpg
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi I am back again.
I have tried the cable from my friend's Garmin that came with their 2559. It worked with my 2559 but did not work with the 2797. The new after market cable looks just like the one in your illustration. It also works with the 2559 with a bit of wiggling but will not work with the 2797.
This is driving me crazy. I think I may have to call Garmin and find out how to get the unit serviced in this area.
OK. That's understandable, if two cables fail to work with it... but note, the car adapter made it work fine, right? Be advised that the flat-rate repair fee would be $110.00. So you might want to look into the fact that the car adapter made it work OK first... is the jack, on the device, a bit loose? does it look dirty when you shine a flashlight into it?Also... does the car adapter work with that jack, the same one the cable worked with? or does it work with the AC power input jack instead?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I called Garmin and they pointed out that there are two sockets on that model and that I needed a different cable for the second socket. They are sending me one free of charge.
Unfortunately you were of no help even though you tried hard. You missed the fact that there were two sockets with two different cables. This is not like any other GPS I have ever owned.
I do not think that I should write a comment on your performance. I do not want to pay any more than the $5:00 as you did not resolve the problem.
I'm glad to hear about the solution.I have no power over charges as a JustAnswer.com Expert.For all issues of billing, payment, subscription terms and status, etc., I must refer you toCustomer Support at JustAnswer.com, which may be contacted through:http://ww2.justanswer.com/contact-usThey will no doubt address your concern, if you contact them, with reasonable promptness. Thank you for asking your question here at JustAnswer.
Russell H., Service Tech