GPS

GPS repair problems? Ask a GPS technician for answers ASAP

Dear, My Garmin Nuvi 1390 does not boot / start. It is just…

Customer Question
Dear *****, My Garmin Nuvi 1390...
Dear *****,
My Garmin Nuvi 1390 does not boot / start. It is just showing the GARMIN logo, nothing more.
I could update the software with Garmin Express without problems, also could make a backup. But nothing changed.
I tried holding the power during start and during switch off for 1 minute, nothing changed.
I used the devive frequently, this error just started today out of the blue.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: GPS
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/7/2016
Electronics Technician: Richard, Customer Service replied 2 years ago
Richard, Customer Service

Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

This is usually an issue with the Firmware, so I would first like you to do this please. It was not clear if you did it exactly as my steps indicate s just telling you incase, if you did this already, please let me know.

Remove the charger from the unit and hold the power button to off for 35 seconds.

Release, then connect the charger and try to turn on the Nuvi.

Let me know the results please

Thank you

I did that before already. Nothing Changed. I updated the software with Garmin Express > It worked without errors. But no change after that also.

Thanks, ***** ***** thorough.

Can you attempt the following and tell me if this completes.

1. Start with the device switched off and unplugged from power.
  2. Touch and hold the lower right corner of the screen.
  3. Continue touching and holding the lower right hand corner of the screen then press the power button.
  4. Release the power button when the device powers on.
  5. You will see a new message: 'Do you really want to erase all user data?'
  6. Remove your finger from the touchscreen when this message displays.
  7. Tap "Yes" (Button on the right).
  8. The device will automatically reset. Follow the on screen prompts then take your device outdoors to acquires satellites.

Can you complete these steps?

No, I still only see the Logo GARMIN
never see anything else on the screen. Only GARMIN Logo.

Thanks

It is the internal memory that has faulted. What your seeing is the moment it is trying to communicate with the memory to load the firmware.

A corrupted firmware can cause this. But we have ruled this out by trying to hard restart it.

I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the unit to have it replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.

I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the page, then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

The device has a slot foe a memory card, can I use this instead ?
I do not have warrenty anymore.
As the firmware update went without problems I don't think it is corrupted. And if it is I have a backup of the old fiemware on my PC too.
But problem is that I cannot send the data to the device.

No sorry, thats for map storage, its the memory that has the firmware on it thats at fault, and that requires the mainboard in the unit to be replaced. Its not a software issue, but hardware. The new firmware wrote to faulty memory

With no firmware, its not worth a repair, it will cost more in the long term, your best to replace it.

Thanks for your time, but replacement is always an option...

Its always an option but not always the only option.

In this case it is the only option, we have ruled out all other options for this

OK, but I don't believe that the update wrote to faulty memory, the updater would have responded with an error but finished without problem and without error.
OK, bye and thanks.

No, as it is writing to the memory not reading from it, it does that when you restarted.

But of course, you are free to conclude what you believe is the issue and if you feel there is another way to get it running this is of course your prerogative.

I can only tell you what the actual issue is...

Hi there and welcome

You can use my link below to see if your eligible for a replacement disk

https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/policy-pricing/obtain-replacement-cds-dvds-manuals.html

For training's, they are all paid as its limited, but this is a good one with a lot of trials available

http://prodesigntools.com/adobe-cs6-tutorials-free-videos-all-products.html

Richard, Customer Service