Dustin, Senior Technician
Experience:  Giving Directions to wayward GPS devices for over a decade. Worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

Earlier today, we drove west across the Texas/New Mexico

Customer Question

Earlier today, we drove west across the Texas/New Mexico state line and tried to enter a New Mexico destination in Santa Fe into our Tomtom XL device. I did not get any response. It was as if there was no such place as New Mexico. In fact, we weren't able to get any responses for any of the western states.
A few weeks ago, I tried to update my device with the western states latest map. The response I got then was that there is currently no available update for the western states. So I just assumed that western states map that I used two years ago was still in force. After all, I had just updated the mid-states map and that seemed to be working just fine.
Having got no response to my Santa Fe input, I tried to get some of the other western states to show up on my screen. As I suspect you are aware, none of the western states are available on Tomtom today.
We have just started a one-month tour of the western states, and we had expected that Tomtom would be our primary source for directional information. Why wasn't the Tomtom map we used two years ago available? What do we do now? We used a paper map to get to Santa Fe, but we have many destinations in the west that are not specifically shown on our paper map.
Please help!
Category: GPS
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.

What probably happened was that when you updated the mid states map region, it over rode the western states map region.

I can help you fix this, you will need a computer ( preferably windows )

And I will need to know the version / model number of tomtom you have.

Thank you,

Dustin S.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The model is XL.
Serial No. is GK5380F09554
Here is another number: (4ETO.001.01)
And another: N14644
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can the old western states map be downloaded?
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for that info.

What we need to do is load the tomtomhome software on your computer. Start the tomtomhome software.

Connect the tomtom device. And then follow these steps to manually change your region back to the western states

1. Click Manage my device in the main menu in HOME.
  2. Click the Items on device tab.
  3. Expand Maps, then click Change map zone next to the map currently on your device.

Your currently installed zone is shown together with a list of other available zones for your map.
  4. Select a map zone to replace the one currently installed on your navigation device.
  5. Click Done.

if you get stuck or run into any issues, let me know.

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a rating of excellent ( 5 stars ) selected and submitted below this answer or at the top right of the screen. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.