GPS

GPS repair problems? Ask a GPS technician for answers ASAP

I have a Garmin Nuvi265W.Sr#1R2056706 It will locate

Customer Question
I have a Garmin Nuvi265W.Sr#1R2056706 It...
I have a Garmin Nuvi265W.Sr#1R2056706
It will locate satellites .The direction and speed readouts work but when I click on Where To it tells there are no roads.I purchased a new map but was unable to download it.Do you have any ideas what may be wrong.I have a Garmin 50lm and it downloads fine.
Any ideas?
Ron MacMillan
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: GPS
3/3/2016
Electronics Technician: Greg A., Engineer replied 2 years ago
Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer

Hello Ron & Welcome to Just Answer,

Sorry to hear of any issue you may be having with your device.

May I ask:

1) The AGE of this device?

2) WHEN was it last SUCCESSFULLY used?

3) WHEN did this issue first begin?

4) When you mention the new map NOT downloading, can you tell me if there were any error or warning messages on the computer - when you tried to download the maps?

Thanks

Appr 6 to 8 yrs
A couple of yrs after purchase.
I cant even get any action at all on garmin express

Hi again & thanks for that information.

I just saw your call request and I can call you - BUT let me see if I have this information correct first.

Are you saying that the device has NOT been used SUCCESSFULLY for a few years?

AND

That this device is NOT being "seen" by the computer - or the Garmin Express program - when you connect it to the computer via a USB cable?

Also, does the device HOLD a charge - so that it works when NOT connected to a power source?

Thanks

Holds chargefor awhile
Actually it wont hold a charge
I really prefer this gps to my new one so I hope to get it workibg properly.
I will give it a good charge first.

Thanks for that clarification - about the battery NOT holding a charge.

So may I ask for HOW LONG (minutes, hours, etc.) did you charge it up recently, and what power source did you use to do that?

Also, the unit MAY be "stuck" in some strange condition - that does not allow it to communicate with the computer, and a low battery CAN cause that.

So let me know how long it was left to charge and how long it will stay ON - if you power it up without connecting to power.

Thanks

I have it on the charger in my truck right now.
I will give it a couple of hours.
I would think that should give it a full charge unless the battery is shot.
What do you think?

HI again,

Sorry for any delay.

Charging for AT LEAST a couple hours is a good "first step". Just make sure there is actually power getting to the device (some vehicles don't provide power UNLESS the key is ON or engine running).

After that time, TEST to see if the battery will run the device for AT LEAST 15 minutes. That is a good test for the battery.

And I understand about liking the "older" units over the newer ones. I have one (several years old) where I replaced the battery, had the touch screen replaced, etc., just to keep it running. I mostly like it because it has a music player built-in and an old-style "audio OUT" jack - so I can connect to my vehicle speakers. (most newer units don't have audio jacks).

Let me know what happens after charging for a while and TESTING - and we can go from there.

Thanks, ***** *****

P.S. I usually take a 90 min. break - starting just over an hour from now. So if I don't respond during that time, you will know why.

Thanks.
I will get back to you after I test.

Very good. I will look for your results later.

The battery is holding.
I have more info:
When I choose where to and pick cities it says no data.address it says no data and when i chooae an address from favorites it tells unable to calculate route and no roads near atarting point.

Hi again,

Sorry for any delay.

OK - as long as its holding a charge, that is a "good thing".

So let's check the "maps" that are installed, because that is where the "detailed data" comes from - and what the device is looking for to do the routing.

Let me see if I can find the exact steps for doing that check.

Back soon..

Ok thanks

OK - here you go.

Start at the MAIN Screen

Touch Tools, then Settings, then Map, and then the Map Info (usually at bottom on that screen).

That SHOULD bring up a list of any maps installed.

Let me know if you see ANY maps list on that page or if you see anything else.

Thanks

(im)

At the bottom the map info is dark and wont respond when i push it
I will try to see if i can download maps again from garmin

Hi again,

OK - that will be the next step - to try to reload the maps.

May I ask if you an SD card (memory card) installed in the device?

I only ask because the current version of the maps has grown quite larger, and you may need such a card to be able to hold the larger files.

Let me know how the update goes.

Thanks

Hi again,

I see it has been a few days and I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue or if the issue was resolved.

I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-
(im)