GPS

GPS repair problems? Ask a GPS technician for answers ASAP

Purchased a Golf Buddy GPS watch last year and it will not…

Customer Question
Purchased a Golf Buddy GPS...
Purchased a Golf Buddy GPS watch last year and it will not take a charge this year. Any suggestions? Jim
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: GPS
3/2/2016
Electronics Technician: Greg A., Engineer replied 2 years ago
Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

Sorry to hear of any issue with your device.

May I ask

1) the FULL model of the device?

2) WHEN it was last used successfully (was it last season)?

3) WHAT HAPPENS when you try to charge it?

Thanks

Do not have it with me so do not know the model. Last used in October 2015. It lights for a couple seconds and then nothing.

Hi again,

Thanks for that information and sorry for any delay.

Without the model it will be hard to be precise, but I will tell you some things that are common in these cases.

First, almost all of these devices comes with a "charging dock" or clip, and often over several months of non-use, the contacts of that dock can become a bit "stiff" OR get some dust or dirt on the contacts themselves.

The same is true (dust/dirt/grime) of the charging contacts of the watch itself.

So the first thing I would do is CLEAN both sets of contacts - with a little bit of alcohol and a lint-free cloth, or a Q-tip. And make sure the dock contacts have a good amount of "spring" in the, and move freely.

Then I would place the watch on the charger dock and let it charge for AT LEAST 3-4 hours - before expecting any response. But often after about 20 minutes or so, you MAY see the "charging indicator" appear on the screen, which will let you know it is starting to take a charge. If that happens, leave it on the charger until full is indicated, then remove it and give it a TEST. This is because the former satellite "lock" will need to be found again (happens after a few weeks of non-use).

Please give that a try when you can, and let me know what happens.

And when you have the model of the device, let me know what that is and we can take more steps - if needed.

Take Care, Greg A.

The Model is VT3. I will try what you have advised this morning. Jim

Hi Jim,

Sorry for any delayed response.

Please let me know the results - when you can.

Thanks, ***** *****

(im)

None of the cleaning worked. Still get nothing. Thanks, Jim

Hi again Jim,

Sorry to hear that didn't work for you.

You MAY be able to "reset" the device - if it is "stuck" in some strange mode.

Here are the steps to do that.

1. Hold 2 designated points in the screen for about 20 seconds. (the "2 points are the "corners" of the screen, at opposite diagonal sides).
2. Press and hold the Mark button and connect the unit to the USB cable on to the computer or any other power source. Release the button until message NAND Boot End!! appears on screen.

Note: The USB cable must be connected to a computer or the AC adaptor.

I have attached a screen shot of the RESET from the manual, that shows the "2 points" mentioned above.

Please give these reset procedures a try and let me know if the device appears to power up.

Thanks, ***** *****

(im)

Hi again,

I also wanted to mention that most of these devices come with a 1 year warranty. So if it is less than a year old - or even close to that - you may want to give the Technical Support folks a call and see if you can have the device repaired or replaced under that warranty. I have the contact information below.

Golf Buddy Technical Support:
1-***-***-****

Hours of Operation
Mon - Fri 6:00 AM - 6:00 PM PST

Please let me know what you find or if you have any more questions.

If this has answered your question(s), please take a moment to rate MY service level (Excellent is my goal) so that I get credit for helping you with this question.
You should see some "stars" to do that, but please let me know if you do NOT see them (you may have to scroll UP or DOWN) or can not use them.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-
(im)

Tried all the above and still does not work. Thanks for your assistance. Jim

You're quite welcome Jim.

Hopefully the support folks can take care of this under warranty.

Let me know your results - when you can.

And when you are ready, please take a moment to rate MY service level (Excellent is my goal) so that I get credit for helping you today.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-

(im)