GPS

GPS repair problems? Ask a GPS technician for answers ASAP

Can not get voice command

Customer Question
Can not get voice command
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: GPS
2/27/2016
Electronics Technician: Greg A., Engineer replied 2 years ago
Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

Sorry to hear of any issue you are having with your device.

To help you with this issue, may I ask:

1) The FULL Make & Model Number of the device you are working with?

2) The AGE of the device?

3) WHEN this issue first began?

Thanks

Garmen Nubia 2556
Est. 10
4 months ago
Nuvi2555

Hi again,

OK - I believe the Nuvi 2555 is a good model number, and I see that this appears to have started 4 months ago.

Can you also tell me the AGE of the device, and a little more detail about what does (or does not) happen related to the voice command?

Thanks

Eat. 10 yrs oldShe does not talk to tell me when to turn etc.

Hi again and thanks for that extra detail.

OK - can you tell me if ANYTHING happened with the device - just about the same time that the voice directions stopped happening?

Also, do you have ANY sounds coming from the device at all - such as "beeps" when moving from one screen to another?

I assume you have the device nearby and can TEST some functions, but let me know if that is correct (or not).

I have beeps
I have unit

So did ANYTHING happen to the device just about the same time that the voice directions stopped happening?

For example, was the device "updated" for maps or such?

No. Do not use very much
I thought I pushed wrong button

OK - if not used very much, can I assume that the battery was left to "discharge" to a pretty low state, where the unit had to be "charged up" for a while - for it to turn on?

If so, some of the "settings" (such as voice settings) could have been "reset" or lost when the battery gets very low.

Let me have you take a look at the "voice language" on your device, by looking at the following video and seeing what is available in the device.

Click here --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3EeE0I_9PE

Please let me know what you see when you try this on YOUR device.

Thanks

Still do not have lady's voice

Hi again,

Can you tell if you SAW more than one possible voice in the list?

If so, did you select a DIFFERENT (English) voice, and then try that?

NOTE: You will need to actually calculate a route and start it - to get the voice to say something (like "please drive to highlighted route").

Could not find setting to change voices

OK - steps are:

1) Start at the MAIN Screen (Where To? & View Map showing).

2) Touch Settings (wrench icon)

3) Scroll down to see "Language & Keyboard" - then touch that item.

4) Touch "Voice Language" line (should be at the very top).

5) Scroll through list to see other voices (in English) and touch that language.

6) Press SAVE button.

That should do it.

NOTE: These first few steps are shown in the first 30 seconds or so of the video.

Let me know what you see when you try these steps.

Thanks

When I tap voice language, doesn't show any changes to be made

Hi again,

When you tap the voice language, do you have ANY voices shown on the list at all?

No

OK - that tells us that the voice files in the device may have been "lost" in memory (as mentioned above).

So can I assume that you do NOT have any "saved favorites" in the device - since it does not get used very often?

If so, we can TRY a "master reset" of the device - to see if we can have it "find" the voice files and restore them. If that does not work, there are other steps we can try too.

Let me know if you have any favorites you don't want to get rid of, and then I will send along the steps to do a reset.

Wil I wipe out all my addresses?

Not ALL addresses - just the SAVE FAVORITES.

So do you HAVE ANY saved favorites - that you don't want to get rid of OR can not find again quickly?

If so, approximately HOW MANY saved favorites do you have stored?

All are in recent

OK - Recent will be cleared out too.

Approximately HOW MANY of those recent addresses do you have (in the recent list)?

32
I need to save

OK - would it be relatively easy for you to WRITE DOWN some of those addresses - so that they can be found again (after the reset)?

I know it may take a little time to do that, but I would assume that not all of those recent finds need to be saved.

OK

OK - let me know when you have written down all the addresses you want to get back.

Summary of what we will try AFTER that. This will all be done in an attempt to restore the voice files in the device.

1) Master Reset procedure.

1a) Check the "Voice Language" settings again - after reboot of the device - to see if the voice files have returned.

1b) If voice files HAVE returned, select one (in the voice language screen), and TEST (with an new route) - to see if "drive to highlighted route" can be heard.

If the reset does NOT restore the voice(s), we will need to "update" the device software & "reload" the voice files.

This will require attaching the device to the computer (via USB cable), and running a program.

So let me know when you have those addresses recorded, and we can proceed from there.

Thanks

Hi again,

I didn't see a response from earlier, but wanted to send the following link that shows HOW to do a Master Reset on your device.

NOTE: This should be done when the device is DISCONNECTED from ANY power source and has a good level of charge.

Click Here --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPGtTyOt-Hw

Let me know if that reset actually takes place AND if the voice file(s) comes back (into the Voice Language screen) after the reset.

If not, we will need to reload the voice files, as mentioned above.

Thanks, ***** *****

(im)

Hi again,

I see it has been a few days and I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue or if the issue was resolved.

I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-
(im)