GPS

GPS repair problems? Ask a GPS technician for answers ASAP

I have a Gramin NUVI 2599LMTHD, that I want to update

Customer Question
through Garmin Express. But...
I have a Gramin NUVI 2599LMTHD, that I want to update through Garmin Express. But, am having difficulties probably because I upgrade my laptop from Windows 7, when I acquired the device, to Windows 10 - also I upgraded my Security Software from Kaspersky Internet to Kasperski Total Security. This is the first time I have tried to update my Garmin since doing these upgrades. I used to plug in my garmin to my laptop it would pretty much automatically link up with the Garmin Website. Now I can not even get the computer to recognize the GPS device. Windows 10 opens up a window for me to make selection from a list of options which appear to be allowing the device to perform certain things, none of which make sense to me for this device. Currently I have my Kasperski performing a scann of the device, as this made sense to me. Thought mean while I could contact you for instructions on how to link up my 2599 to get these updates. Would please e-mail me step by step instructions, at***@******.***. The serial number of my device is 3W N004995. Hopefully with this you have enough information to confirm I am the original owner of this device and do have life time mapping. Thank you.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: GPS
2/21/2016
Electronics Technician: Greg A., Engineer replied 2 years ago
Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer

Hello Duane & Welcome to Just Answer,

Sorry to hear of any issue you may be having with your device updates.

I believe you may be "OK" doing the updates - since the computer CAN still "see" the device. Also, you may have to disable your security software OR "allow" the Garmin Express program to be downloaded and installed through the security program.

Also, if you "scan" of the device has not completed, you may want to STOP that scan. And definitely do NOT alter the contents of the device through that program or by any other "manual" means. You want to do ANY changes on the device ONLY with Garmin Express - unless you exact details otherwise.

What I believe you will need to do is download and install the LATEST version of Garmin Express. You should be able to get that program at the following direct link to the Garmin Express download page. There is even a short video on that page (you may have seen it) that will show you what to expect when you download and install the program.

http://software.garmin.com/en-US/express.html

NOTE: Your security program MAY try to "warn" you about downloading and installing the program, so you MUST ALLOW it to do these things - to be able to do your updates.

Please let me know what happens, or if you have any more questions.

Thanks, ***** *****

Thank you, ***** ***** that I reload Garmin Express onto my Laptop. This was the right move. But your link to obtain this software corrupted my machine. The link took me to the right location, but when I clicked on the button to download the software my computer locked up. I tried this several times and each time the computer locked up. I then tried going to Garmin.com directly and downloaded the software without incident, and updated my NUVI 2599. I appreciate the guidance, but find the support lacking.

Hi again Duane and thanks for letting me know that you got the device updated (hurrah).

I'm not sure why the link I sent would cause any issues - UNLESS the security software you have running was "blocking" that page or sub-domain (some software does that - depending on the level of security set).

Please let me know if you have any more questions about this device in the future.

If this has answered your question(s), please take a moment to rate MY service level (Excellent is my goal) so that I get credit for helping you with this question.
You should see some "stars" to do that, but please let me know if you do NOT see them (you may have to scroll UP or DOWN) or can not use them.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-
(im)