GPS

GPS repair problems? Ask a GPS technician for answers ASAP

On 1-22-2016 I updated my Garmin Model C330. S/N:10H107740…

Customer Question
On 1-22-2016 I updated my...
On 1-22-2016 I updated my Garmin Model C330. S/N:10H107740 per the instructions received on the GPS screen for CN North America NT 2014.40. However, today I had a message on the screen saying my maps are "outdated". What happened. I had used the Garmin Express to update.
Bernard Stern ***@******.***
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: GPS
2/19/2016
Electronics Technician: Russell H., Service Tech replied 2 years ago
Russell H., Service Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

As for what happened, it could be that the maps became outdated quickly, because the maps you updated on January 22 were already getting old, and a new update has, well, updated them so that the old ones are now, theoretically, out-dated indeed compared to the newest release with the newest corrections.

So... you need to use Garmin Express, once more, to update the maps and the Garmin device, on that theory.

Or it could be that you downloaded, more recently than that, some newer map(s) file(s) covering the same territory as older map files? but we'll get to that if the first solution doesn't work. So, try updating with Garmin Express once again.

The "second try" with Garmin Express did not work. I connected my GPS to Garmin Express on my computer and ran it for 6 hours and nothing. All the screen showed during this time was "Reading device information" After six hours I hit the "cancel" button!

I see.

After restarting the Garmin device, did the message about 'maps outdated' still show up?

No message showed up. It just continued and showed only "Reading device information.

Is it now unplugged from the computer?

If not, disconnect it, and shut it Off after a minute or two.

Then leave it for 15 minutes or more.

Then try it again.

I retried the Garmin Express again and got the same results as before, nothing. Since I do not rely that much on my GPS, I will use the current revision in the unit.
Thank you for your help.

Please tell me: is the problem solved, essentially? or not?

If not, what advice can I offer further? It sounds to me as if the Garmin device is not working, but has that changed?

As I said, the problem is not solved, and I am going to continue to use my uniy with the current maps. I will be requesting my refund and termination of the account!

I have Opted Out, opening the case to other Experts, in case one of them has further suggestions - I admit that I don't.

Perhaps another Expert will bring this case to a satisfactory conclusion - be assured, if so, no additional charge whatsoever will apply to further work on this question by another Expert.