GPS

GPS repair problems? Ask a GPS technician for answers ASAP

No maps found after updating Is there an easy to reload U.S.

Customer Question
maps?...
no maps found after updating Is there an easy to reload U.S. maps?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: GPS
2/12/2016
Electronics Technician: Greg A., Engineer replied 2 years ago
Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer

Hello Ed & Welcome to Just Answer,

Sorry to hear of any issue you are having with your device.

To help you with this issue, may I ask:
1) The FULL Make & Model Number of the device you are working with?
2) The AGE of the device?
3) WHEN this issue first began?

Thanks

xxl 4ep0.001.05 n14644 only numbers I see on unitabout 5 years or so
yesterday when updating

Hi again,

OK I will try to find the model from those numbers.

In the mean time, did you notice ANY errors or warning messages during the update?

no 'cause I walked away and waited I have join me if you want to connect to the unit.

Hi again,

OK - it MAY be that the update did not complete - to be able to write the maps back to the device.

Have you stopped the update and tried again yet?

Thanks

but there are no updates available from Home 2just tries. no up dates available so it will not start the process.other number I just found gl2200a01951

Hi again,

OK - are you saying that the HOME program is telling you that there are no map updates for the device

- OR -

Are you trying to USE the device, and have no maps ON the device?

Thanks

to both!Would join-me help?

Hi again and thanks for that.

I'm sorry - I don't do "remote" computer support, and it would not help in this case, as we need to know how the device is behaving when NOT connected to the computer.

OK - according to that serial number, that appears to be a TomTom XXL 550 - with 2GB of memory.

Does that sound like the correct model to you?

And I see you mention the number 2 AFTER using the term "HOME" ... What is that "2" referencing, or is that a typo?

Thanks

When I got Home it listed as home2Could Home or home2 be corrupted?
Maybe reload? if possible?

Yes, that is possible AND was going to be my next question or suggestion - which is to make sure you have the latest & greatest version of HOME installed on your computer (there are changes from time to time).

By the way, here is a link for how to install HOME on your computer. Just make sure you get the appropriate version (windows or mac).

http://us.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/minor_detail/a_id/5122/

just installed Home and get the same message, no updates
should I remove the Home file and then install a new version?

Hi again,

It couldn't hurt to uninstall the HOME program and install it again - with computer reboots in between.

Also, I just noticed on the TomTom support site that there is some "planned maintenance" going on between Feb. 12 (today) and Feb. 14. This SHOULDN'T cause any issue with the update services - BUT - I have heard of similar issues in the past.

the choices on the home program are
a) modify
b)repair or
c) uninstalltried repair and modify and got same result.On my computer I have a program to uninstall Home, but how would I get it back from the site you sent me to?
I saw that site before but nothing is said about installing home?

The link I sent was the STEPS to install Home - with links to the download (for windows and mac) at the top of the article.

Did you try the C option - to uninstall, then reboot and then download and install again?

I have home2 on computer with the same result when I try to update.Just disconnected tomtom from computer and tried to use. no maps found!This is getting frustating!

Hi again,

I can understand the frustration.

Let me suggest a phone call to TomTom support, as they should be able to get to the bottom of this more quickly.

TomTom Customer Support
866(###) ###-####/strong>
Monday - Friday: 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. EST
Saturday: 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. EST

NOTE: There is typically a 5+ minute delay for getting in contact with a human, so be ready for that delay.

Thanks, ***** *****

(im)

Was not happy with "experts" assistance. Please cancel charges on Discover ASAP.

Hi again,

Did contacting TomTom support get a resolution to this issue?

I'm just curious as to what happened.

Also, we experts here have no access to any of your account information. But you should be able to contact customer support here using any of the "contact us" links on this system (they are on almost every page that you see).

Take Care, Greg A.

(im)