Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years
5229702

I have a 4 year old Garmin 5012 ,, it has stopped giving us

Customer Question

I have a 4 year old Garmin 5012 ,, it has stopped giving us any depth reading, the screen reads --- in all areas. It is in a 7.8 my stabicraft aluminium boat . Last year it was giving us random depth readings so had it checked out by a Garmin rep and fixed. Since then it has only worked for 3 engine hours and packed up again. I am located at Phillip island and have to take it back to MY marine at Dromana each time , this is 2 hr away. This is the 4 th time since we purchased the unit. I purchased the boat new with the sounder and told the installation was done by Garmin and is correct. Can you help. Regards ***** *****
Category: GPS
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.

There is a known issue that matches the symptoms you are describing. Can you turn on your Garmin 5012 and check the software version as follows.

To view the chartplotter’s software version, from the Home screen, select

Configure> System> System Information

When you have that, please send a reply. Thank you~

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.