GPS

GPS Repair Problems? Ask a GPS Technician for Answers ASAP

GPS

I purchased a remote start ( Viper) daughter. Had it

Customer Question
Customer: Hi ***** *****,...
Customer: Hi ***** *****, I purchased a remote start ( Viper) for my daughter for Christmas. Had it professionally installed. Now, when she starts her car, the Garmin 2595 will not automatically turn on. ( It is plugged into the accessory socket) Been back to installer 3 times. Still not fixed. Any suggestions? Somewhere in my past, I remember having this same problem in a car I previously owned. I ended up correcting this issue by purchasing a accessory socket from Pep Boys , hard wired it directly into a (switched) outlet on the fuse block and hid everything under the dash board. Works perfectly from that point on.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: 2013 Subaru Legacy.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to GPS Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Absolutely. Thk. You. By the way, Audio Connection who did the install, has pretty much wiped their hands of this issue and says there's nothing they can do about it. They've had the car 3 times to fix it, but to no avail.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: GPS
1/12/2016
Electronics Technician: Greg A., Engineer replied 1 year ago
Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

Sorry to hear of any issue you may be having with this device.

May I ask if the device (and vehicle power adapter) have been tried in a DIFFERENT vehicle yet?

And if so, did it have the same symptoms in the TEST vehicle (not coming on when vehicle starts)?

Also, can you successfully power up and run the device MANUALLY (in the original vehicle) - after it has been started?

Thanks

Hi again,

I see you may have had trouble replying and posted a NEW question.

Please try to reply HERE - on this page - so we can continue.

Thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Not to confuse you, my successful attempt to correct a similar problem ( 7 or 8 years ago ) was not this vehicle. This car is my daughter's and the kips has operated flawlessly until "Audio Connection" installed the Viper remote starter unit. Then it started misbehaving. Audio Nation has attempted to make the repairs 3 times without success. What happened to me a long time ago was mearly a suggestion to you.

Hi again,

I understand what you are saying - thanks for that.

So let me ask again:

======================

May I ask:

1) if the device (and vehicle power adapter) have been tried in a DIFFERENT vehicle yet?

1a) And if so, did it have the same symptoms in the TEST vehicle (not coming on when vehicle starts)?

2) Also, can you successfully power up and run the device MANUALLY (in the original vehicle) - after it has been started?

Thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The gps has been flawless. It has never been tried in another vehicle.. This started immediately after the remote install. My daughter has just walked in and tells me exactly whats gong on. Upon turning on the car, the Garmin will power up and them immediately begin the countdown to shut itself off. After it turns itself off, it can be manually turned back on and it will operate properly .

Thanks for that.

OK from that behavior (switching on and then counting down a bit later), it "sounds like" the power is "going away" from whatever power socket the vehicle power adapter is connected to.

If your daughter is still nearby, can you (or she) go out a TEST something else for me?

That would be to VERIFY that the "Charging" battery icon appears - AFTER the powers the device back on.

The charging battery icon looks the same as the battery icon, but has a little "lightning bolt" over the battery icon.

I will see if I can attach an image of what to look for.

Also, this will be in the TOP of the MAIN SCREEN of the device - when powered ON.

Let me know.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hang on please. She is on another line.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
hey there! when i reach up and turn it back on manually after entering the vehicle, the lighting bolt is visible - also the blue indicator light is on in the cig outlet as well. do you still need an image? i can go collect one if necessary

Hi again,

As long as the lighting bolt is there and STAYS there, that should work properly.

It would still be nice to TEST in a different vehicle OR using a DIFFERENT power socket.

The reason I as this is because it sounds like the new starter has CHANGED the connection to the power socket that is currently in use - in a way that "disconnects power" from that socket briefly, and then reconnects it.

Did the techs at the install place give you ANY details at all - about IF the the power going to that particular power socket would now be switched (or controlled) by the remote starter?

NOTE: They may NOT know - as some "installers" are just that, and they don't know the details of how the starter will work with a particular vehicle.

Please let me know if there is a different power socket available in the vehicle - to TEST with.

Thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
still waiting for her to get free of the phone so she can test for you. this.

No worries - take your time.

I should be here for the next 3 hours or so (hoping it doesn't take that long - lol).

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok. Thanks for your patience. Ok, here's whats going on. we tried three times:
1. Start car up. gps fires up and stays on. Perfect !
2. start up car. gps faces power hiccup and shuts down after 15 secs, used cig outlet 1
3. start up car. gps faces power hiccup and shuts down after 15 secs, used cig outlet 2:(

Hi again and thanks for those tests.

OK - were BOTH of those tests done using the REMOTE STARTER (and not the "regular key")?

Also, do you have an accessory power socket in the BACK of the vehicle to try (probably uses different wiring)?

If so, please try that rear power socket and let me know if that also has the power hiccup.

Thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
every single interaction was done using the key fob for the remote starterill attempt to find a third outlet now
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
there is no third outlet available

Very good.

Please also try using the "standard" starting procedure (without the remote starter).

Thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
standard start (with key) functions 100% accurate every single time

Thanks so much for doing that TEST for me.

OK - what that tells us is the the Remote Starter IS effecting the "switching" of the power feed - to the power sockets in the vehicle.

What we don't know is if this is "normal" for that remote starter.

Did the "technical folks" (assuming they had such folks) at the installation place mention ANYTHING about this condition - and if it was "normal" to behave that way?

Again, they may be "just installation" types - and not know the remote starter system very well. So if they "don't know" - that is a perfectly acceptable response - as long as they TOLD YOU that they don't know.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
they basically told me to suck it up and that its my gps's fault, which through basic deduction i KNOW its not. thanks for confirming. the question is.. now what?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
they never attested to normal or abnormal behavior of the remote starter system

Hi again,

First, any "suck it up" response is pretty much what I might expect - from a "franchise bunch of installers". That's just my personal opinion, because I KNOW the "caliber" of folks that work at such places.

So I think the EASIEST thing to do would be to recommend to your daughter that she "alter" her use of the GPS. What I mean is to only install the device on the mount AFTER that power hiccup has taken place - as that seems to work just fine.

I would HOPE that she is NOT leaving it mounted in the car overnight, or where the GPS can be seen anyway (to prevent theft), so this might help reinforce ONLY mounting the device when she is getting ready to go (and the car is warmed up).

I fear that your previous solution (additional power socket) MAY have the same power hiccup, as I suspect the remote starter is causing this to ALL switched power circuits you could tap into.

Please let me know what you think would be best for you & your daughter.

Thanks, ***** *****

Hi again,

I see it has been a few days and I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue or if the issue was resolved.

I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-
(im)

Greg A.
Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer