GPS

GPS Repair Problems? Ask a GPS Technician for Answers ASAP

GPS

Dustin, I can't connect my 2555LMT to my windows 7pro pc.

Customer Question
hi Dustin, I can't connect...
hi Dustin, I can't connect my 2555LMT to my windows 7pro pc. It's been awhile that I've up dated my gps. Now my pc doesn't recognize the devise in garmin express. I'm stuck.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: GPS
10/16/2015
Electronics Technician: Greg A., Engineer replied 2 years ago
Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

Sorry to hear of the issue you are having with your device.

To help you with this issue, may I ask:
1) The AGE of the device?

2) WHEN this issue first began?

3) Does the computer "see" the device (as a storage device), without starting Garmin Express?

4) What happens on the screen of the device - when you connect it to the USB port of the computer?

Thanks

my unit was bought about 2011/12, Just yesterday I wanted to update it for my up coming trip but my pc didn't recognize it, I tried two different pc and they both doesn't connect at all. the devise screen shows its charging but no indication of pc to device connection with or without garmin express. I reinstalled the garmin express on both PCs and I'm running windows 7pro os. My device is registered with garmin too.

Hi again and thanks for that information.

OK - have you tried a DIFFERENT USB cable - when connecting to either computer?

Also, how does the USB connector in the device "feel" - when inserting the USB cable?

I only ask because the device SHOULD display a large icon on its screen - showing a "device connected to a computer" - when it IS successfully connected to a powered on computer USB port.

Thanks

(im)

i've tried a couple usb cables because I thought the original one that came with the device had a problem. The only indication that shows that its connected is the charging (lighting bolt) at the upper right corner. In the pasted, it would normally show the "device connected to a computer" but this time it didn't. I factory reset my device twice but nothing. It just charges the battery.

Hi again,

OK - can you do a little TEST for me?

That is to connect the computer end of the USB cable to the computer, turn the device on, and then connect the device end to the device .., and then HOLD PRESSURE on the cable, as if to push the cable AND connector DOWN a "little bit more". Not too hard, but just FIRM pressure, and try to hold it for at least 30 seconds.

What we are TESTING for is a "loose or broken" connection - at the main control board of the device.

If you see that "device connected" icon show on the device screen - at any time during this process, and then it goes away when you release pressure on the cable, that will tell us there is a broken connection.

Please try this a few times, and perhaps holding pressure at a slightly different angel each time - to see if you EVER see that icon appear.

Thanks

ok, I did it 6x. I would have the devise off each time, it would automatically turn on the device as soon as its connected and I would be pressing on the cables firmly onto both ends (device & pc). It show its charging on the upper right corner. other then that, no other screen that shows connected to the pc at all.

Hi again and thanks for doing that TEST.

By the way, we only need to push on the DEVICE END - as that is what we are testing for - a loose connection there.

AND we should START with the device ON, and then connect to USB cable at the back.

So what I suspect is that the USB connector is "broken" - inside the device. Let me give you a link to a page that has a picture of what I suspect >> Click Here<< When on that page, scroll down a bit until you see the CLOSEUP of the connector - with two red arrows. I suspect you have similar damage - except on the DATA pins - in the center of the connector mount.

So I will let you know that the folks at that site I linked to do repairs of these units - if you can get a quote for the repair and send it to them (they get very busy). Look for the "Request Quote" button on the left column of the site to see if you can get in.

You can also try to have the device repaired by Garmin, using the following link. These repairs would be for a flat fee, as the is well past its standard 1 year warranty, To get a qoute, select your model number from the pull-down list. Then scroll down to see the rest of the steps for sending the device in for repair.

http://www8.garmin.com/support/outofwarranty.html

Once you look at the cost of repair, you may also want to consider replacing the device with a newer model. I say this because the prices of these devices has dropped quite a bit in the last year or so, and often it is less expensive to get a newer unit than to have the older model repaired.

As a reference only, I did a search on Amazon for "Nuvi LM" (includes Lifetime Map updates), so you can see the models available and the "street prices" you can expect for the current models.

Nuvi LM Search Results
http://amzn.to/1MM8ccC

Sorry for the diagnosis of this issue, but I'm about 98% sure of what is happening, as I have seen this on MANY models of this type.

Please let me know what you find or if you have any more questions.

Thanks, ***** *****

(im)

Greg A.
Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer