Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years
5229702

I have a Garmin nuvi 750. It will not let me change the

Customer Question

I have a Garmin nuvi 750. It will not let me change the state, it does recognize some states, but trying to input South Carolina it immediately gives me South Dakota and will not let me imput Carolina. It also doesn't recognize some states, and while in Kentucky, did not recognize any of the cities I imputed. It is charges, and has green bars on the satellite indicator. What is the problem?
Category: GPS
Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

Sorry to hear of any issue you may have with the device.

It sounds like there is a "limited" region of maps installed in the device - that does NOT include the states mentioned where it is having trouble.

To check what maps ARE installed, please check the Map Info screen.

To get to that screen, start at the MAIN screen, then touch Tools, then Settings, then Map, then the Map Info button (usually at the bottom of the Map screen).

When you do that, please let me know EXACTLY what you see on that screen - including ALL text on ALL lines.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. For MAP INFO, it says North America NT and Lower 49 states NW.I do get some of the states, just not all. Why?
Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 years ago.

Hi again and thanks for that information.

The "NW" at the end of the Lower 49 states tell us that the "North West" states are loaded in the device. Below is a link to an image that show what states are covered in the NW areas.

http://download.garmin.com/RMU/_download_manifests/NA/2016_10/006-D1371-25/image.png

If you want to avoid this issue in the future, I HIGHLY recommend that you purchase a 4GB or 8GB SD card (memory card) and then reload ALL of the 49 states, which will fit on those size cards.

As a reference, I did a search on Amazon for an 8GB SD card, and I have a link to the search results below.

.

8GB SD card SEARCH results

http://amzn.to/1MIsupu

.

The alternative to getting an SD card to hold ALL the states is to reload the regions that WILL fit in the INTERNAL memory of the device, that you plan to use in your upcoming travels. But that process will have to be repeated any time you decide to travel to an area that is NOT covered in the detailed maps that are loaded.

As another reference, I have a link to the Garmin page that shows the states and regions covered by each of these "sub-set" of maps.

Click here >> Map Regions <<.

NOTE: At the bottom of that page there are a few other article links that explain about SD card compatibility, and loading maps directly onto an SD card. Please take a look at those articles for more details about the process.

I hope this helps explain what is happening with your maps & device. Please let me know if you have any more questions.

If this has answered your question(s), please take a moment to rate MY service level (Excellent is my goal) so that I get credit for helping you with this question.
You should see some "smiley faces" or "stars" to do that, but please let me know if you do NOT see them or can not use them.

Thanks, ***** *****

(im)

Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 years ago.

Hi again,

I see it has been a few days and I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue or if the issue was resolved.

I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.

Thanks, ***** *****
(im)

--. .-